Author Topic: Old Dogs Can Learn New Tricks  (Read 1935 times)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Old Dogs Can Learn New Tricks
« on: September 25, 2018, 08:53:59 AM »
Tried something new last weekend.

In the past, I've always put my bottom brisket fat cap down and the top brisket fat cap up (when smoking 2).  This time I took the top off my oven broiler pan and centered it on a rack just above the smoke box to help diffuse some of the heat.  I then smoked fat cap up on both briskets.  This seemed to help not to over cook the meat side.

It may be somewhat hard to say for sure though, as I also had just gotten some butcher paper and wanted to try wrapping with it. So, at 165-170ish, I pulled both briskets, wrapped them in butcher paper, threw them back in and shoved the probes through the paper into the meat.

These briskets turned out to be some of the most moist briskets I've cooked in my model 3. I'll definitely be trying this combo again soon.

I'll try to get more pictures next time. I was too busy excitedly shoveling brisket into my mouth to remember to take pics of the finished product.
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Old Dogs Can Learn New Tricks
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 04:18:31 AM »
Interesting idea. I don't think I have ever sprung for 2 briskets at the same time, but some day I may have to try something like this.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 09:12:44 AM »
Gregg,

I usually smoke them 2 at a time. One, I serve for dinner and then give the rest to guests to take home. The other goes into the fridge after it has had a few hours to rest. Then, the next day I slice the entire brisket cold. I put half in zip-locks for sandwiches and half I vacuum seal and freeze for later.  Slicing my keeper after it has been in the fridge overnight allows the juices to soak back up and I find it retains much more moisture that way.

It's about time to do some snack stick cooks. What flavors are you doing this year?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 06:46:53 PM »
I smoke two butts all the time, but I am too cheap to buy two briskets at the same time. ;)

No idea on what we're going to try for sticks this year. We'll have to wait and see how many deer we end up with. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.