Author Topic: Smokin-It vs. competitors  (Read 13258 times)

barelfly

Re: Smokin-It vs. competitors
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 09:30:37 AM »
You will love a smokin-it. They are great smokers, easy to use and clean up. A friend of mine has a CS, it’s nice and similar to my SI but smaller and he paid a lot more than what I paid for my 3D. This was a few years back. And a quick look this morning, seems as if th  pricing is still the same. SI gets you much more cooking capacity for less. So that’s something to weigh in your decision. I will say cooking a whole packer brisket is no problem in a 3D.

You would be smoking like crazy with just the 3D, you don’t need anything else to smoke all your favorites! Accept some wood chunks of course.

As for covers, I picked up one of th SI covers and recommend something else. It’s not the greatest material, so dust still gets through. I use a cover made by Covers and All. They are custom made, you put in the sizes and choose color and material.  These are amazing covers. And they cost about $50-60 for something the size of a SI smoker. I have one for the SI and my built in grill.

Hope that helps with your decision. you will love a SI!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 09:40:52 AM by barelfly »
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 09:45:03 AM »
My cover gave out after the first year, I also ordered a cover from Covers and All and its great. On the second year and it still looks new and it keeps out the rain.
Best Greg

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 10:13:40 AM »
Do folks still feel that Smokin-It is the best value?

Don't overlook the fact that shipping is now built-in to the price for the Smokin-It.  Another big one is the warranty... "Three year warranty on smoker box includes parts and workmanship, One year warranty on digital controller"  I don't think anyone else touches that.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

snakyjake

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 11:41:51 AM »
I haven't seen CS or the other competitors, but the CS might be oriented wide versus Smokin-It narrow.
If true...
I'm not sure if there's a pro/con to wide/narrow.
Jake from WA.
WSM, BGE, #3D

EFGM

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 12:30:04 PM »
I'm pondering the purchase of a Smokin-It 3D this season, but the price differential seems to have faded away over the past two years.   The 3D is $900 and the 3D-WiFi is $1035 - and of course you need to spend additional dollars on the covers, etc.  Do folks still feel that Smokin-It is the best value?

I have owned all 3 brands, several models of each as well. Concerning Cookshack: Quality of the Smokers is Topnotch, Price is highest of the Three Players, Parts over the top high of the three players. American Made yes. Also electronic controls are not as flexible as with the SI.  SmokinTex:  Customer Service Good. Smoker quality Good. Pricing higher than SI. The equal to the 4D is almost $1000 higher. Does not believe anything should be smoked above 225 so no electronic controls. (Now don't misunderstand me, there is nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with analog controls. Hey, kitchen ovens have used them forever. It's just a personal preference for me to want electronic controls)   Forum group with Smoking-it is the best and most active of all three players, Customer support from Steve and company is so over the top, Period! So in my onion, you can not go wrong with a SI, so yes I still feel SI is the best choice of the three. I would only recommend you get as much real estate as you can possibly afford, i.e. bigger is better and it only hurts once. In the end model you choose, and whichever method you use to smoke with as long as it passes your and your loved one's taste test, you are successful! Happy Smokin'!

Oh yeah, if WiFi "Control of smoker" is important to you go for it, if "WiFi Control of Smoker" is not so important to you, go with the straight 3D model and use a Tappecue, Fireboard, or Thermoworks product to monitor you temps.
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Stevegardner

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2018, 09:14:20 PM »
Hi Guys-This is my first post here, what a great find this site is. My Smokin Tex bit the dust last night. It sat out back for 13 years in the Az heat and met it’s demise last night. I am smokerless at the moment. So, doing research and had anticipated getting ST or maybe a CS. Well, then I stumbled on this site. After looking around, I am not seeing any reason to not buy one of these smokers. I’d like to do it now with the Cyber Monday sale, but I just bought a bunch of grandkids stuff today...they wiped me out. Are there periodic sales and promos? Either way, I will have to get one....more bang for the buck it appears.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2018, 09:38:20 AM »
My #3 suffers from lack of use. I have 2, Ole' Hickory SSG's at work now. If I need a meal it goes in with the days production. My #3 is either a loaner to friends or a Jerky machine. I did run a few meals in it last year during my winter break. I don't regret the investment of the #3 it is built like a tank and has served me well. A SI smoker is a great investment.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2018, 05:24:39 PM »
My Smokin Tex bit the dust last night.

I almost bought a SmokinTex when I got my SI... I decided I wanted a smoker and the SmokinTex headquarters is very close to my home.  Fortunately, I have a good friend who has an SI and he steered me here.  I got a bigger smoker, with more accessories, with a better warranty shipped to my house for less than it was going to cost me to go pickup the SmokinTex.  I'm sure the Tex would have been a good smoker, but not nearly the value.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

skioutwest

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2019, 02:59:50 PM »
Can't underestimate how important it is to have stainless steel racks.  Huge difference in durability over the cookshack which you have to pay additional for ss racks.

-Mark

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2019, 03:42:21 PM »
So true Mark.  The racks on the Cookshack are holding up well but starting to show their age. Eventually they will get replaced with SS.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus