Author Topic: Smokin-It vs. competitors  (Read 13251 times)

Greenman72

Smokin-It vs. competitors
« on: January 13, 2016, 05:55:13 PM »
So I posted the "kamados vs. electric" thread a few weeks ago.  You guys have convinced me that I also need an electric smoker (in addition to my Big Green Egg and Weber Genesis). 

Now I'm wondering--it seems that there are three major "players" in the electric market.  The Cookshack, Smokin-Tex, and Smokin-It.  (There are others too, but none that I think I would buy.  There are also pellet poopers, but they don't look particularly appealing.) 

Anybody care to discuss the pros/cons of each?  Before the new 3d model, I was inclined to say that the Cookshack Amerique was better because it had a meat probe and digital controls, but now I'm not so sure. 

Other than price, does the Cookshack Amerique offer any real advantages?  I know it's not bigger, so is it better somehow?  Or do they just have a better marketing team? 

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Smokin-It vs. competitors
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 05:58:24 PM »
Price and marketing/fancy website: stick here with Smokin It and you won't go wrong for the price.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 07:37:51 PM »
If you compare the two below I think you will find the Smokin-it a better product.

Smokin-Tex, and Smokin-It.

Greg

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 09:20:48 PM »
Well, I'll jump in here.  I live 20 minutes away from SmokinTex HQ, I've been there, the guy in the YouTube videos, Scott Wallace, I talked to him and the owner.  I like their smokers, they are nice, and expensive!  It is I'd say the same materials that Smokin-It uses.  To get the same as a Model #3D, with the PID purchased for the ST, you would be well over $1200, about twice the price of a Model #3D.  This is my 2nd SI smoker, I purchased the first one in November, bam, the 3D came out a month later ;>(  I have since purchased a 3D and sold my 3, the new owner loves it by the way, they got a very good deal!
CookShack is another story, excellent quality and you will pay 3x the price of the 3D.  $1,000 will buy a lot of meat for the 3D.  I'm not here to bash anyone or any smoker, but for the same quality, excellent results and excellent price, the Smoking-It simply cannot be beat, hands down.  I really enjoy the 3D, I have 3 pork butts smoking right now, I put them on at 6 p.m. this evening, about 30 pounds worth.  I set the program to cook at 225 until the meat probe reads 198, then the box temperature will lower to 130 until I pull them off after work tomorrow, it just can't be easier unless there is a power failure, and then it doesn't matter which electric smoker you have, then they are all equal.  Get the SI 3D, make a home here on the forum and learn from these people, heaven knows I've learned a lot from them and given a few two cents worth myself, you will not be unhappy with the SI, all of us here on this forum promise you that.  And hey, what about customer service?  I've contacted Steve (the owner of SI) twice about certain items and he addressed them, that same day or if it was late in the day, the next day, no questions asked, that has to speak for something right there.  Enjoy the SI model 3D and you can help others here and newbies as well, it's all in the SI family right here!!

Carl
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 09:29:35 PM by kz0m »
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 09:25:11 PM »
Greenman72 - I have the Amerique and my brother the SI model 3. I would have to say that the final results of smoking meat are the same:  just plain good food. The racks in the SI3 are larger and made of stainless steel.  The CS racks are not stainless but nickel; stainless costs extra.  SI is imported but designed by Steve while the CS is American made. Quality of materials and construction are dead even, in my opinion. Repair parts when needed and accessories are far less expensive for the SI than the CS. I tested the temperature accuracy of the CS controller twice some time ago.  One test had me very worried, the temps between the on board controller and a remote were very different.  A subsequent test was much closer.  I don't know why there was a difference; maybe it was in the algorithm built in to the controller or maybe just a fluke. In any case, I put the remote away and do not worry. My brother has learned to trust his analog SI3 and uses the remote only for cooking to an internal temperature.  No more worrying about the smoker's actual temp; he tired of watching the swings (explained in the FAQ section of this site). As a matter of fact, digital or analog, a 5 hour smoke remains 300 minutes.

The SI forum is very busy.  Lots of posts daily.  The CS forum is sort of busy and the SmokinTex (ST) forum is less so.  Check them out and you will see. If interacting frequently with other brand specific smoker owners, this is the forum to be active in. There is no wrong smoker when looking at SI, CS, or ST.  They are all quality.  You have to look at what you are actually getting for the money spent (and your budget): element wattage, cord length, capacity, warranty, parts/accessories cost, etc.  Compare the smokers feature for feature.

I can wholeheartedly recommend both the CS and the SI. You have to determine which is the better value.  For most of us (me included) the choice is pretty obvious. And that is not a slam against CS; just a fact.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Dave
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 09:44:37 PM »
Well, Greenman, I'd say they've pretty much covered it!  Bottom line is a) neither of the 2 others offer anything close to the real estate of the 3/3D!  Let me tell you, having started with a #1, then #2, and eventually the 3, the depth of the 3 can't be discounted.  Being able to fit big, uncut packer briskets, and full racks of ribs in there, is absolutely great!  And b) They don't have a 3 year warranty like SI, and just haven't moved forward with technology.  Yes, the Cookshack is "digital," but it actually experiences temperature swings approaching the analog dials.  It has a digital display, but is NOT a PID controller, like on the 2D/3D/4D.  Big difference, especially for 3x the price!

Superior product development, great construction, and a company owner that just can't be beat.  Best "bang for the buck" in electric smokers, and I'll stand behind that any day of the week!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

LongBall

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 11:05:51 PM »
When I was looking it came down to the Amerique CS and the 3 smoking it. Size and more having the option to 300*. I haven't gone past 275 but who knows. The burner sizes where close I don't recall the TX having the burner element size. All things equal the extra grand in my pocket didn't suck as well. This forum was the push over the top.
SI3 Auber WSD-1500 Probe installed

Bart

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 11:07:26 PM »
All things equal the extra grand in my pocket didn't suck as well. This forum was the push over the top.

Bingo!! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

es1025

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 11:26:16 AM »
+1
I looked at cs and st before talking with steve on the si3.

Best decision i ever made.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

prudentsmoker

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 04:15:02 PM »
A few months ago, in one of the many brisket threads, a gentleman revealed that his job was smoking brisket for a BBQ joint. He was an employee, not the owner. He shared with us that he used Smokin-It at his own home. Hard to get a better endorsement than that.
Brian from Wichita

Mr. D

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 01:04:11 PM »
I did extensive research on CS, ST and SI and found at the end of the day the SI was the best value. All three will cook meat.

RG

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 04:46:35 PM »
A few months ago, in one of the many brisket threads, a gentleman revealed that his job was smoking brisket for a BBQ joint. He was an employee, not the owner. He shared with us that he used Smokin-It at his own home. Hard to get a better endorsement than that.

IIRC that was porkbelly right?
Jason from Conyers GA

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 05:44:59 PM »
IIRC that was porkbelly right?

Correct.  Brian, aka Pork Belly, is a pro pit master!
Tony from NW Arkansas

mgj2727

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 08:38:38 AM »
I'm pondering the purchase of a Smokin-It 3D this season, but the price differential seems to have faded away over the past two years.   The 3D is $900 and the 3D-WiFi is $1035 - and of course you need to spend additional dollars on the covers, etc.  Do folks still feel that Smokin-It is the best value? 

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 09:01:20 AM »
I have owned 3 models of the Smokin-It and I have loved each one. Right now I have the 3d with wifi and I think it was the perfect purchase!
Best Greg