Author Topic: My #3 Unpacking Story  (Read 15860 times)

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
Re: My #3 Unpacking Story
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 10:06:33 PM »
LOL dave! If you are talking about the frame of the element then I bet you could carefully bend it back.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 10:15:20 PM »
Wow! Something of mine leaning left! That might be the only thing  :

I tried bending it but didn't want to put too much pressure on it. I think it will be fine as is.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 10:17:57 PM »
As long as wood use remains conservative, you should be fine.

A photo might prove useful.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 10:37:51 PM »
My thoughts too, Dave
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 10:53:17 PM »
I'll get a pic tomorrow.

I was just reading a thread in the #2 section where a guy had the same high temp spike and probable combustion and they figured that it was caused by not having the drip tray in. As it happens, I too forgot to put my drip tray in. It was fairly windy during my seasoning. So, I can see how there could have been a higher than normal amount of air flowing through the box.

He also had his smoke box leaning to the left (no pun intended 😊).
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 10:57:51 PM »
OK...just so we're clear:  Left-leaning (smoke box) is bad. ;)   Don't think it will be a problem, if you approach your first smoke conservatively.   ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 11:00:58 PM »
Tony,

Right!

Dave
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 11:02:34 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation, Dave!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2014, 12:15:02 AM »
Happy to be here, proud to serve.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Camadile

• Cookin' Outdoors, Mojoe Style
    • Mojoe Outfitters
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2014, 01:15:29 AM »
Hey Gregg:

Congrats on the #3.  I wish I had been on this forum when I unpacked my #2!

I have smoked a lot of salmon now (15 pounds at a time) an I have found that if you use the rough chopped chunks of wood, you can get a lot of smoke off them at 175 degrees.  I put fresh chunks in at 4 hours when I remove the skin and get another blast of smoke.  At low temps, the smoke coming off the chunks decreases significantly within an hour even though they are not burnt through. Probably because the element is not on much at low temps except for at the beginning.

Oh yeah, the smoke box bracket on my #2 also leans left.  I lean to the right and it makes me dizzy sometimes!

Cam

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2014, 02:53:24 AM »
Thank Cam.

Does your smoker smell fishy after all the fish that you have run through it?

I smoke fish (Salmon and some Ocean Black Bass that I caught this summer) too. But have been thinking that I may continue to use my Big Chief for the fish because smoking at low temperatures is one thing that it excels at. Plus I didn't want to get my SI full of fishy smell.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Camadile

• Mojoe Outfitters
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »
Thank Cam.

Does your smoker smell fishy after all the fish that you have run through it?

I smoke fish (Salmon and some Ocean Black Bass that I caught this summer) too. But have been thinking that I may continue to use my Big Chief for the fish because smoking at low temperatures is one thing that it excels at. Plus I didn't want to get my SI full of fishy smell.

No fishy smell here!  I'm not as finicky as some, but really, all I smell is "smoke" when I open the smoker door a couple of weeks after a salmon smoke.

One of my friends uses a Little Chief to smoke his trout and salmon.  It usually turns out reasonably good, but the last time he did it was during a cold snap here in So Cal.  He couldn't get the internal temp of the Little Chief up high enough to actually cook the thick salmon fillets (they were raw in the middle).  The trout came out dry for my taste, almost like jerky, I think because of the extra time he had to use to try to get the salmon cooked.  I don't know about the Big Chief, but the Little chief seems to pump too much air through the chamber which, to me, results in a dryer fish.

Cam

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2014, 11:38:04 AM »
OK, Cam. You convinced me. I will try my next batch in the SI.

You are right that the Chief's (big and Small) have trouble maintaining temperatures in colder temps. That is the main reason I got my new smoker. For the most part all the Chief's do is impart smoke. For anything other than jerky, stix, and fish, you have to finish everything else in the oven/grill after the smoke has been applied.

Thus the reason I have never been able to do a pork butt or a brisket.

No problems with that now. I just need to find the time and money to pay for all of this meat that I want to smoke.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Camadile

• Mojoe Outfitters
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2014, 12:49:31 PM »
OK, Cam. You convinced me. I will try my next batch in the SI.

You are right that the Chief's (big and Small) have trouble maintaining temperatures in colder temps. That is the main reason I got my new smoker. For the most part all the Chief's do is impart smoke. For anything other than jerky, stix, and fish, you have to finish everything else in the oven/grill after the smoke has been applied.

Thus the reason I have never been able to do a pork butt or a brisket.

No problems with that now. I just need to find the time and money to pay for all of this meat that I want to smoke.

Gregg:

You probably saw my write-up on smoking salmon in the "Fish" section.  The SI does a beautiful job with the salmon.  As far as the time issue, you'll have more time on your hands.  My friend has to be near his Little Chief all day because he had to change out the wood chips about every 1.5 hours, thereby increasing beer consumption and thus costing more $$$.

Cam

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2014, 01:12:02 PM »
I don't have any Salmon right now. But I do have a freezer full of Bottom Fish that I caught on an Ocean Charter Fishing trip out of Westport, WA this summer that I will be smoking some of.

I'll give it a shot and will reference your thread again before I do the next batch.

Thanks for the tips.
Gregg - Fargo, ND