Author Topic: Beef stick mistake need advice  (Read 3185 times)

crazybill

Beef stick mistake need advice
« on: February 15, 2018, 02:34:42 PM »
Made up a batch of beef sticks this morning. Teriyaki recipe. (Sausage maker)
1.5 tsp #1 prague powder
34 grams excaliber sure Gel
6.5 lbs lean beef
1.4 lbs pork fat
1.6 cups cold water
So far, so good. Mixed well in the Kitchen Aid to a very sticky consistency, stuffed into 19mm collagen casings and it's now in the smoker.
My problem is this: I forgot the ECA. I know that without it I should have let it cure overnight, but I didn't.
Need a check list next time.
At this point it is in the smoker and moving through 120 degrees so I can't go back and throw it in the fridge. I'm worried about it being at the dangerous temps too long if I do. So I am committed to letting it go ahead and finish the process.
Is it ruined? I know that without the ECA the room temp shelf life is short. Anything else I need to know?
Thanks for any help
-Bill-

Grampy

Re: Beef stick mistake need advice
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 04:31:12 PM »
Bill, while I am no expert at snack sticks and jerky I believe you are fine and don't need to worry about the ECA.
I make jerky and snack sticks all the time and have never used ECA and have never had a problem or issues. Let it roll and enjoy the treats!

Grampy
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Grampy

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 11:51:09 AM »
Bill, How did the beef sticks turn out?
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

crazybill

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 12:56:26 PM »
They came out just fine. Just lacking the sharp tang I'm used to.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 07:33:23 PM »
Hopefully, I'm not the only non-sausage guy that's confused....what the heck is ECA?  Is it a cure?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Grampy

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 07:44:07 PM »
Hopefully, I'm not the only non-sausage guy that's confused....what the heck is ECA?  Is it a cure?

Tony, ECA is encapsulated citric acid. It imparts a tangy / sourly flavor to semi-dry cured sausages. Some sausage and snack stick recipes call for it. Personally, I have never used it and don't see the need to do so. Maybe Brian or Gregg will chime in with something different than my explanation.

Grampy
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 07:47:21 PM by Grampy »
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 07:46:21 PM »
Thanks Jimmy!  When he was talking about shelf life, I thought it might be a type of cure.  Good to know!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 12:57:20 PM »
Sorry that I am late to this, but I think you guys have it covered pretty well.

ECA is purely optional and like has been said provides that tangy flavor that is very common expecially with summer sausage but also with some snack sticks as well.

They are basically little capsules of Citric acid that have a delayed release.

They are sensitive though and can be released too soon if you add them to your meat mixture too soon or let them sit overnight. You want them to go into the smoker before the citric acid is released.

I am by no means an expert on using ECA and in fact have never actually used it myself. I do have a pack of it that I ordered on my last Walton's order, but have not used yet. I have a batch of Apple/Blue Cheese Summer Sausage that I have been looking forward to trying it with, but am waiting for the North Dakota weather to warm up a little bit. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 05:31:39 PM »
I don't use ECA. I know that in high enough concentration it makes cured sausage shelf stable but dont know that amount. ECA is why snack sticks that are sold unrefrigerated are so sour. Personally I think the best use of ECA is mixing 2oz ECA with 1 quart water. Spray that mix on fresh killed meat, specifically game meat to kill bacteria and develop a crust.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud