Author Topic: This isn't starting as planned  (Read 863 times)

Vaturkey

This isn't starting as planned
« on: April 15, 2023, 10:03:51 AM »
Doing the initial seasoning of the Model 2.   Put foil over the smoker box and foil on the bottom.  Added 2 chunks of supplied wood latch the door and turn it on to 250 degrees.   Put a digital probe Thermometer through the hole in the top set to 250 to check calibration of the unit.  30 minutes later my Thermometer goes off and I go back to fixing breakfast.   Look out the window a few minute later and see big white smoke billowing out of the top hole.   Look at my digital Thermometer and its says 400 degrees.  Go oh crap and run outside and unplug the unit.   

Wait two hours and the temp is down at 225 and I open the unit.   The heating element as somehow angled itself about 10 degrees.  Using hot pads I pull out the smoking pan and open it and see essentially ash.  I surmize now, that the wood caught on fire rather quickly and that's what caused the rapid increase in heat.

I will go ahead and redo the seasoning process with two pieces of supplied wood, but this time wrap them in foil before they go into the smoking pan and start again from square one.

PS.  What did I do wrong? 

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: This isn't starting as planned
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 11:22:42 AM »

The closest thing you did to 'wrong' was monitoring the box temp.  :)   I highly recommend (not being funny) that you never do that again unless you have very serious reason to believe there is an actual problem with the smoker.  The analog smokers have a decent temp swing and new users also freak out.  Experience and time will prove out that it doesn't matter in the slightest.  You're likely correct about the wood catching on fire causing the temp to spike.  Again, not a problem for seasoning the smoker.

If you go back and read my earliest posts here (assuming they still exist) then you'll see that I went through the same process of measuring the box temp and then learning to ignore it.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Vaturkey

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 11:36:08 AM »

The closest thing you did to 'wrong' was monitoring the box temp.  :)   I highly recommend (not being funny) that you never do that again unless you have very serious reason to believe there is an actual problem with the smoker.  The analog smokers have a decent temp swing and new users also freak out.  Experience and time will prove out that it doesn't matter in the slightest.  You're likely correct about the wood catching on fire causing the temp to spike.  Again, not a problem for seasoning the smoker.

If you go back and read my earliest posts here (assuming they still exist) then you'll see that I went through the same process of measuring the box temp and then learning to ignore it.

I'll look for you earlier posts for sure.  My old Smoker (pit boss) had wood chips catch on fire and it had a temp of 400 degree's plus and burned out the electronics inside.  Replacing them cost more then the unit was worth.   Curious, do you monitor the heat inside the smoker when you actually cook.   I normally use a two probe digital prop.  One to monitor box temp and the other in the meat on the smoker.   Since this unit has a dial, I wasn't sure how accurate that dial temp was.  Anyway, thanks for your comments.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2023, 11:55:29 AM »
The spike in temperature was definitely caused by the wood catching on fire.    Dry wood ignites easily.   The other thing I would note is that you don't need foil for the seasoning smoke ... leave everything bare so the oils (machine oil?) burn off and you will get a nice seasoning color on all sides/floor of the unit.   Also, no need to monitor the box temp when there is no meat in the box...you will see all kinds of temps!

I do periodically monitor the box temp when smoking certain meats, just to see the range of temp swings.  Not really necessary, but a temp probe for the meat is essential!  (Also, you will want to use foil for the bottom and wood box when you are smoking meat!)

When you try the seasoning again, don't use foil on the floor/wood box, and don't use a temp probe.   You can try foiling the wood, but if it is really dry, then you will probably see the heavy smoke and "the belch" when the wood ignites.   Just let it go for the duration, and you will be set.

Good luck!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2023, 11:58:22 AM »
Oh, and welcome to the Smokin'It family!!   Let us know if you have more questions.  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Vaturkey

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2023, 12:07:06 PM »
The spike in temperature was definitely caused by the wood catching on fire.    Dry wood ignites easily.   The other thing I would note is that you don't need foil for the seasoning smoke ... leave everything bare so the oils (machine oil?) burn off and you will get a nice seasoning color on all sides/floor of the unit.   Also, no need to monitor the box temp when there is no meat in the box...you will see all kinds of temps!

I do periodically monitor the box temp when smoking certain meats, just to see the range of temp swings.  Not really necessary, but a temp probe for the meat is essential!  (Also, you will want to use foil for the bottom and wood box when you are smoking meat!)

When you try the seasoning again, don't use foil on the floor/wood box, and don't use a temp probe.   You can try foiling the wood, but if it is really dry, then you will probably see the heavy smoke and "the belch" when the wood ignites.   Just let it go for the duration, and you will be set.

Good luck!

Hey thanks.  I only used the foil for the breaking in because that's what the directions they provided said to do.  So much to learn.  Regards, Tom

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2023, 02:20:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum Tom.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Vaturkey

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2023, 04:24:48 PM »
Chicken halves tomorrow evening.   Brining them as I write this.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2023, 07:30:24 AM »
Good deal!   Sounds like you are off and running.   Let us know how you make out.  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2