Author Topic: Using indoors  (Read 928 times)

Porkchop

Using indoors
« on: July 10, 2023, 08:33:19 AM »
Hello, new here. Trying to decide between the 3 and the 3.5, I know, always go bigger. The 3 is large enough for my cooks, but sausages are what I do more often. Now that I can make a decent sausage, I’d like to hang them so I don’t get the grill marks (indents) and more even smoking. I like the additional height of the 3.5 for this.
 The problem is the size of the 3.5 vs the 3. I have a spot on my deck the 3 would be a nice fit but not so much for the 3.5. The 3.5 would be more intrusive elsewhere on the deck and I’m trying to keep the wife happy about taking over the deck.
 One option would be to put it on a cart so I could move it around (but deck would be off limits because of the stairs) and keep in garage.
 So my question is: In the winter can I use it in the garage to keep it out of the snow? Or, is there enough space to hang sausage in the 3 without being too close to the element? I usually do 10 pounds at a time.

TLDR: Can I use the smoker in the garage? Is the 3 tall enough to comfortably hang 10 pounds of sausage without being too close to element?

oldfogey

Re: Using indoors
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 10:05:14 AM »
    I bought my 3.5 in 2017. The 1st seasoning smoke was done on the driveway in front of the garage. The next couple of smokes were inside the garage with a fan blowing the smoke outside. Then when smoking some ribs the fan quit working. I didn't think the garage was smokey at all. I have a finished attached garage with a white ceiling and a back door that I open along with the garage door in the summer. I've smoked for 6 yrs. in the garage with no discoloration of the white ceiling.
Charles from Ohio
SI 3.5D
Dyna-Glo Dual Zone Stainless Charcoal Grill, X-Large
Chefman Sous Vide Immersion Circulator

Porkchop

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 10:23:31 AM »
Good to know. Any issue smoke smell or lingering odors?

oldfogey

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 04:24:32 PM »
   I've only used hickory in my smoker and during the smoke there is a strong fragrance of it in the garage. It fades after a day or so which is a good thing because when I smell hickory smoke all I want to do is eat.
Charles from Ohio
SI 3.5D
Dyna-Glo Dual Zone Stainless Charcoal Grill, X-Large
Chefman Sous Vide Immersion Circulator

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 06:49:54 PM »
I have had occasion to use my #2 in the garage during bad weather or in the winter.   I put the smoker near the raised garage door with a floor fan at the front of the garage blowing toward the door.  Smoke goes right out the door.  Any residual smoky smell in the garage is gone within a day or so after the smoke.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2