Author Topic: 5D Just Arrived - Instruction Videos?  (Read 5282 times)

agcrock2005

5D Just Arrived - Instruction Videos?
« on: February 07, 2023, 05:48:43 PM »
The smoker just arrived and it looks amazing.  Can't wait to use it.  Unfortunately the instructions in the "manual" are amateur hour that look like they were printed on a 30 year old printer and put together in a booklet for a 6th grade report.  You can't even read the words on the left side of the page due to whatever was used to hold the manual together.  The section explaining the controller has a lot of exhibits with pictures but they're hard to make out because the print looks like the black ink was running out. 

:-\Any good videos out there on how all of this stuff works?

agcrock2005

Re: 5D Just Arrived - Instruction Videos?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 06:05:43 PM »
Heck, just went through entire smoker and found that there's not even an installation packet or manual.  Bunch of shelves and other metal materials inside the smoker laid up against the walls but no instructions.  Disappointing for sure.

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 07:22:19 PM »
There is some info on the SI website. Not sure if this manual is for your smoker or not: https://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/SIWIFIG2Manual.pdf[
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

agcrock2005

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 08:50:01 PM »
Well, you just confirmed it's not their printer that's messed up.  Haha.  Look on page 10 of that and you'll see the pictures are barely legible. 

Thanks for posting, but this is what came with my smoker.  Problem is they don't show any assembly information.  Just odd that wouldn't be included anywhere.  I'll figure it out I guess.  Thanks again.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 08:51:47 PM »
Heck, just went through entire smoker and found that there's not even an installation packet or manual.  Bunch of shelves and other metal materials inside the smoker laid up against the walls but no instructions.  Disappointing for sure.
Sorry to hear about the lack of an installation packet.  Here are general instructions to go along with the link Lonzinomaker provided.  You can find more information on the main website under FOR THE CUSTOMER.  Just to clarify:  the shelves are racks, there are metal rack brackets that attach to the side walls, the metal box is the wood box. You will also find the box probe sticking out from the back wall of the smoker, a drip pan, metal bracket for attaching the cord hooks to the smoker, a wrench for attaching the casters.  There are two U shaped heating elements surrounded by a protective metal guard.  Look at the wood box; notice the slot.  You slide this over the metal guard. It is advisable to cover the floor of the smoker with heavy duty foil (punch a hole in the foil at the drain hole) when you are smoking meat and also foil the lid of the wood box. This makes clean-up fairly easy.  No need to foil when you are seasoning.  The smoker will take on a patina.  It is normal for some smoke to 'leak - vent' between the door and the box.  Over time, this 'leakage' diminishes. There is nothing to be concerned about.  The smoke is rising over and around the food and out the top; most through the smoke hole but some at the door. 
May I be of any other service?

https://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/GeneralInstructions.pdf
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

agcrock2005

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 09:13:15 PM »
Sorry to hear about the lack of an installation packet.  Here are general instructions to go along with the link Lonzinomaker provided.  You can find more information on the main website under FOR THE CUSTOMER.  Just to clarify:  the shelves are racks, there are metal rack brackets that attach to the side walls, the metal box is the wood box. You will also find the box probe sticking out from the back wall of the smoker, a drip pan, metal bracket for attaching the cord hooks to the smoker, a wrench for attaching the casters.  There are two U shaped heating elements surrounded by a protective metal guard.  Look at the wood box; notice the slot.  You slide this over the metal guard. It is advisable to cover the floor of the smoker with heavy duty foil (punch a hole in the foil at the drain hole) when you are smoking meat and also foil the lid of the wood box. This makes clean-up fairly easy.  No need to foil when you are seasoning.  The smoker will take on a patina.  It is normal for some smoke to 'leak - vent' between the door and the box.  Over time, this 'leakage' diminishes. There is nothing to be concerned about.  The smoke is rising over and around the food and out the top; most through the smoke hole but some at the door. 
May I be of any other service?

https://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/GeneralInstructions.pdf
Very much appreciate your response.  Wish there was something in the pit saying all of this information though, or an unboxing video or something.  Would make it easier for sure for someone who doesn't know much about the product.  I simply bought this for sausage only based off of 2 Guys and a Cooler videos and thought it would be more of a plug and play product.  Look forward to using it but worried it's not going to be an easy process.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 09:18:47 PM »
The only learning curve is the controller.  Built by Auberins, you can visit their site.
https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=702
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

agcrock2005

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 10:36:25 PM »
The only learning curve is the controller. 
And figuring out how to install shelves and racks without any instructions.  Other than that it should be great.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 12:16:37 AM »
The only learning curve is the controller. 
And figuring out how to install shelves and racks without any instructions.  Other than that it should be great.

Just in case you are serious, the rack slides are joined to 2 strips of steel.  Face the slides so they open toward the center of the smoker. One slide per side.  They mount on 2 pins on the upper left and right sidewalls, front and rear.  The racks slide into the slides.  Spacing is your option.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

agcrock2005

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2023, 06:40:19 AM »
Thanks.  Figured that part out.  Nothing that tightens them onto the pieces of steel they hang on?

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2023, 11:19:50 AM »
They took pictures of the smoker display with the wrong camera setting, it captures the cycling of the display you don't see as a human.
But you're right, it isn't very helpful.  Makes me glad I have the analog dial on my #3. :)
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2023, 03:41:13 PM »
Thanks.  Figured that part out.  Nothing that tightens them onto the pieces of steel they hang on?
Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero. Just the weight of the racks in the slides. Pins are at a slight angle. Same set up used by SmokinTex and Cookshack. Simple and effective.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

agcrock2005

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2023, 05:51:05 PM »
Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero. Just the weight of the racks in the slides. Pins are at a slight angle. Same set up used by SmokinTex and Cookshack. Simple and effective.
Got everything together.  Was very simple.  All of my worries would have been easily solved with a little "quick setup" page or diagram.  Wasn't talking negatively about the product, only how the instructions don't show how to put the thing together.  On a side note (same subject), I just opened my Jerky Dryer and went for the instructions to show me how to install it.  There are three pictures of the product, one of which has it installed on top of one of the pit, and then it goes straight into telling you how to make jerky.  Doesn't make sense.

agcrock2005

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2023, 06:02:24 PM »
My advice to Steve would be to send a 5D to the 2 Guys & A Cooler dude for free and ask him to do some installation videos.  Steve gets 151,000 people viewing his products, presented by a guy that likes them, and everyone that buys the product will know how the heck it all works.   :)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2023, 08:38:32 PM »
Got everything together.  Was very simple.  All of my worries would have been easily solved with a little "quick setup" page or diagram.  Wasn't talking negatively about the product, only how the instructions don't show how to put the thing together.  On a side note (same subject), I just opened my Jerky Dryer and went for the instructions to show me how to install it.  There are three pictures of the product, one of which has it installed on top of one of the pit, and then it goes straight into telling you how to make jerky.  Doesn't make sense.
One picture is worth a thousand words.  For most of us. I will ask Steve to address this in the next printing of the instructions.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus