Author Topic: Smoking Sausages in my 5D  (Read 1191 times)

Smokin Papa

Smoking Sausages in my 5D
« on: January 03, 2023, 12:21:53 AM »
Did my first sausage links in my 5D after Christmas and had some issues I’m trying to understand.  I think I might have figured out some factors, but need your help knowing if they are right or not.  Will include some photos for visual reference.
Put sausages on 4 racks, spaced out racks to every other slot. Probe 2 (IT for meat) on top rack, probe 3 on 3rd rack down to track those temps. Had chunks of wood in firebox and loaded Bella half way. 2 weeks earlier on snack stick trial, couldn’t get Bella to stay lit. Put a big water/drip pan in lower section of smoker, 13” x 18” with a gallon of water.

Started a programed step smoke/cook:  120f, one hour to dry, up to 130f for one hour smoke, up to 140f one hour smoke, up to 150f for two hour smoke/cook, up to 170f til IT of sausage is 150f, then last step, shut off smoker.  This time after the 1 hour dry, I was able to get Bella to light and stay lit (new better butane torch and wood chips), ran with maximum air flow. Forgot about the wood chunks in the firebox. When they started going, ended up double smoking the sausages.

All the steps working fine, the probes were off about 5 degrees from each other, probe 2 on higher rack was hotter. Got to the 170f til meat IT is 150f, and the meat was at 140f on probe 2, 136f on probe 3, and they just stayed there.  It was like going into the stall for a brisket or pork butt.  I let it go on and on thinking it will come out and temps will rise.  Like a fool, I let it go thinking the water pan would help keep the casings soft.. or so. Upped temp to 175f, probe 2 hit 150f and smoker shut down.  Probe 3 was at 146f at the end.

Problems I see or believe had a factor:
Smoker temperature sensor is near the top. A combination of the large water pan putting extra humidity in the smoker and I left the air pump running at maximum after Bella smoke stopped so it was blowing in cold air from the outside, could have kept a lower temperature where the sausages were in the smoker.  Is that possible the reason the sausage temperatures couldn’t climb, humidity in the air and cold air being blown in? Casings were real tough and a bitter over smoke taste to them..  meat was just fine inside. Cut them into little pepperoni like slices. Taste ok with crackers and cheese.

Sorry was long, but would appreciate and help, understanding and planning for the future.

Craig M
SI series 5D Wi-Fi
Bella Cold Smoke Generator
James Jerky Fan
Traeger pro 780
Blackstone 36”
LEM #22 Big Bite
Hakka 22 lbs electric stuffer
Hakka 12” commercial slicer
Smoked Sausages and Meats
In So. Utah 23 years
47 years with my one and only
Army Brat- ‘53 - ‘72
Papa to 14 grandkids

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Smoking Sausages in my 5D
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 02:11:31 AM »
Craig - That took some time to let it all sink in in.  I don't do sausage. However, I have read enough on sausage here and on 3 other forums to have a grasp of the techniques used and why.  I am pretty sure your final analysis is spot on. One thing you did not mention the type casings you used. It is my understanding that different casings require a different approach to avoid splitting. Overall though, I think you identified you problem regarding the excessive moisture and Bella blowing in cold air.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Smokin Papa

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 12:04:59 PM »
Old Sarge, I knew you would have input for me. Thanks for confirming my thoughts.  I know there are not as many that do sausages and snack sticks.  Just trying to fine tune and know how to use my 5D to get best results.

Another question, I tried to upload other photos but only got the last one to load.  How do you get multiple photos to all load?  Went to attachments, went to my photo library, only let me select one photo, hit use for selected photo. How can you select multiple photos to upload? Must of done something wrong. Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Craig

Craig M
SI series 5D Wi-Fi
James Jerky Fan
Traeger pro 780
Blackstone 36”
LEM #22 Big Bite
In So. Utah 23 years
47 years with my one and only
Army Brat- ‘53 - ‘72
Papa to 14 grandkids

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 12:17:01 PM »
Craig - I send any photos I want to upload to myself. Then download them to a BBQ folder as 'save attachments', not photos.  That was the only way I could get them to post.  Then I click on 'attachments' and select what I want. This works for me and the iMac I use. Hope this helps. David
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Smokin Papa

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2023, 12:25:16 PM »
Thanks. Will try that.  I use my IPad instead of my computer.

Craig
Craig M
SI series 5D Wi-Fi
James Jerky Fan
Traeger pro 780
Blackstone 36”
LEM #22 Big Bite
In So. Utah 23 years