Author Topic: Record for me - smoking ribs at 9*F  (Read 625 times)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Record for me - smoking ribs at 9*F
« on: December 27, 2022, 10:19:16 AM »
Christmas Eve was a balmy 9*F in Delaware, with 15 mph winds!   The kids wanted BB ribs for dinner.  So, I tried out my #2 on the deck but wasn't sure about doing this with the 9* temp.    I put two racks of BB ribs in the smoker, crossed my fingers, and gave it shot!     I let the #2 go for four hours in the wind, worried that the sides of the smoker never really got warm and that it was not getting to temp.  I had a couple smoke "belches" along the way, too.   The #2 heating element did cycle on and off as normal, which suggested that the temp inside in the smoker was working correctly, but I still wasn't sure and did not have a temp probe inside the box to monitor.

After four hours, I typically remove the BB ribs, sauce them, and back on the smoker for the last two hours of a 6-hour smoke.  Panicked, I decided to remove the ribs from the smoker at four hours, sauce them and finish in the oven at 225F.   I suspected that I would need more oven time than 2 hours to finish them, but at 2 hours--they were spot on and likely the best ribs I have made!   Fall off --and I mean fall off-- the bone, perfect ribs!

So, while I am not going to do this again, I wanted to share that the SI smokers work well in sub-freezing temps!   Today, we are at 33* and I am doing a small pork loin with a temp probe in the box just to make sure I did not do any damage, and then 2 more racks of BB ribs (for neighbors) are on the schedule for Thursday (air temp predicted at 47*).

I sure do love my #2....the smoker that could!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 10:22:27 AM by swthorpe »
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Record for me - smoking ribs at 9*F
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 07:13:15 PM »
 Steve - Thanks for sharing your adventure and success. Odds are that they would have finished just fine in the smoker.  They are well built and insulated.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 08:36:52 AM »
I think you are right, Dave.  The ribs when I took them off the smoker at 4 hours looked exactly like any other rib smoke at more reasonable temps!    Smoked a small pork loin yesterday that turned out perfect, so the #2 is on a roll.   Tomorrow, I have another 2 racks of BB ribs going in, but the temp will be mid-40s and low wind.   I do love the week off between the holidays.

Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 09:28:57 PM »
I'm doing ribs right now in 45 degree rainy weather...  I'll stick with this, thanks.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2022, 09:03:33 AM »
I'm right there with you!   :)

BB ribs on the smoker today...expecting 47* and low wind!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2