Author Topic: Spiral Cut Ham Warm UP  (Read 756 times)

Ken

• Model 2wifi
Spiral Cut Ham Warm UP
« on: December 17, 2022, 12:49:21 PM »
I've been assigned the task of cooking a 10.5-pound spiral cut ham for Christmas day.  It's a high quality one from a local meat shop.  I know some aren't fans of the spiral cut, but it's what I was given.  I've cooked them before with great results and my own sauce is a good one.  It's been some time since I've cooked one.  I plan to smoke at about 235 or so to an IT of 135 to 140.  It's been smoked with an apple/cherry mix, so I'll stay with apple.  My problem is how long will it take?  My current estimate is about 15 minutes per pound.  What do you think?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Spiral Cut Ham Warm UP
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 03:23:09 PM »
I have done this many times with spiral cut.  Mixed results.  The bone is the problem. The meat next to the bone has rarely reached temp unless the outside meat is permitted to go dry. The cuts start to open up.  After an hour or so of good smoke, I would tightly wrap in foil to hold together and retain moisture till you get the temp you desire.  Just my thoughts.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 04:39:32 PM »
That sounds right.  In the past I would sauce it when it starts to open up and then cover it loosely so i could sauce again.  Extra smoke early.  What do you think about time and temp.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 08:01:20 PM »
Most spirals are fully cooked and ready to eat. I think your temp of 235 is good. A probe and tight wrap after an hour or or so should keep the ham moist. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 08:26:54 PM »
Thanks. We’re having the whole damn family for dinner and I’d like to have things ready on time.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2022, 11:27:28 PM »
Best of luck to you. I have rarely had 'everything' ready on time. Usually one item is late. Never the meat though!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

lcdearman

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2022, 11:36:06 AM »
I did a 12.2 lb spiral cut ham from Walmart last Christmas and it was excellent. I used 3.2 oz of cherry split into 2 chunks to get more smoke up front. I did a 30 minute 150* ramp with the Auber and then smoked it at 225*. The ham hit 125* at 3 hours, then I glazed it and put it in a pan to keep the mess down. I cranked the smoker to 275* after glazing, and the ham took another 30 minutes. You could smell the glaze burning in the pan, but it didn't affect the taste.

This year I will cut back on the wood and probably just run it at 250* for the entire cook.
Clay from Taylor, TX
SI #2 with Auber AW-ST1510H-W
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2022, 12:01:05 PM »
Thanks.  That gives me some idea of the time and temp.  I’m going to smoke at 235 with some apple.  I may tent with some foil later in the cook.