Author Topic: New Bella problem staying lit  (Read 582 times)

Smokin Papa

New Bella problem staying lit
« on: December 16, 2022, 12:57:45 AM »
Got my new 5D Wi-Fi up and running, got it the day before Thanksgiving. Attached the Bella CSG. Did a trial smoke a week or so ago, summer sausage and snack sticks. Tried to light the Bella, using hickory pellets. Had the air pump on lowest setting. Flames came out of the side hole where you light it, smoke started and then went out. I think the holes in the lid were closed. Tried a couple more times and same result.
This week did 1st real smoke, snack sticks for Christmas gifts. Taking no chance, put 3 hickory chunks in the wood box. After the initial drying hour, tried lighting the Bella again. Different combinations: lid holes closed with low air, lid holes closed no air, lid holes cracked open low air, holes cracked no air.  Live in So. Utah no humidity still in the 50s-60s dry.  Dry fresh pellets.

Anyone have the proper “setting, sequence” to get it working?

Thanks, Craig
Craig M
SI series 5D Wi-Fi
Bella Cold Smoke Generator
James Jerky Fan
Traeger pro 780
Blackstone 36”
LEM #22 Big Bite
Hakka 22 lbs electric stuffer
Hakka 12” commercial slicer
Smoked Sausages and Meats
In So. Utah 23 years
47 years with my one and only
Army Brat- ‘53 - ‘72
Papa to 14 grandkids

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: New Bella problem staying lit
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 08:00:43 PM »
I don't have the Bella. The only thing I can think of is not enough air at the beginning or that the pellets were packed to tight.  Not deliberately but too tight to allow air to circulate.  Steve might have an answer.  A well known competing model has a coil spring in the canister.  I suppose it helps with air circulation but I do not know that as a fact. Might be worth a try.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 08:52:08 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Smokin Papa

Re: New Bella problem staying lit
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 10:08:32 AM »
Thanks.  I saw a video where a YouTube sausage maker who has a model #4 was doing a comparison between his old Pit Boss and the Bella. He had an old one without the vented top. Got it up and running, so I didn’t know if it needed to be closed or not  I was just thinking maybe my little butane torch is not getting enough pellets in the middle going and is just igniting a few by the hole only.
Will go and experiment more today. Thanks for the input!
Craig M
SI series 5D Wi-Fi
Bella Cold Smoke Generator
James Jerky Fan
Traeger pro 780
Blackstone 36”
LEM #22 Big Bite
Hakka 22 lbs electric stuffer
Hakka 12” commercial slicer
Smoked Sausages and Meats
In So. Utah 23 years
47 years with my one and only