Author Topic: Large chunks vs. small chunks  (Read 1230 times)

lcdearman

Large chunks vs. small chunks
« on: March 10, 2021, 08:21:15 AM »
Since Lazy-Q is so, well, lazy, I have to do something with my time. This morning, after starting a rack of baby backs, I was pondering how the size of a block of wood in a Smokin-It smoker affects the quantity and duration of the smoke produced. For instance, it seems to me that a 4oz block of wood would produce less smoke, but for a longer period of time when compared to two 2oz blocks.

And what about chips? Do they produce a lot of smoke, but for a short period of time?

It makes me wonder if it would be good to not only tailor the amount of wood used in a smoke, but also the size of the pieces. Ribs cook relatively quickly, but pork butts and briskets take a long time. Maybe use a large chunk and a small chunk on briskets and butts?

Any thoughts?
Clay from Taylor, TX
SI #2 with Auber AW-ST1510H-W
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker

OldeSmoker

Re: Large chunks vs. small chunks
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 09:47:27 AM »
I have thought about this as well but I do not have a definitive answer. What I do know is that since I have been using a foil tray for my wood chunks inside the wood box and using the ramp up method for the temperature; I have been able to use more wood when smoking large cuts without getting bitter tasting meat. By using more wood I am able to get smoke flavor deeper into the meat. I do use a combination of large and small chunks so I do think your thoughts on that have some merit as the small chunks start smoking faster and the large chunks smoke longer.

Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger