Author Topic: quick smoke of chuck roast for chunky beef chili  (Read 1433 times)

BBQueen

quick smoke of chuck roast for chunky beef chili
« on: December 12, 2020, 08:03:33 PM »
I was enlisted by my partner's Taco shop to smoke 20 lbs. chuck for a chunky beef SW chili...I didn't take any pix of the process but what he wanted was a lightly smoked chuck...not quite done, as it was going to finish cooking in the chili...so my job was to render out the fat and add smoke...
So we decided after marinading the the meat overnight with a thick sauce he concocted. The meat would carry those flavors to the chili, which would simmer for 8 hours in great big pots.

I suggested after the marinade while the meat was cold, cut into the final chunks he wanted in the chili...and do about a 3 hour smoke at 225 with the chunks spread out across three screens with a tray to catch the drippings. (he used that later)

The meat came out of the smoker with a strong heated spice and a firm tooth. It was cooled in fridge then it went into the chili and simmered overnight. The result was bit sized chunks of perfect melt in your mouth beef, that did not fall apart into strings...the heat was tempered by the stewing in the chili and the result was a really satisfying chili with a distinct smoke note (applewood & hickory two small chunks about 2.5 oz.)...The meat produced something like 35 quarts of chili for the shop...

« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 08:08:55 PM by BBQueen »
Eva in MKE
NEW! Smoke-IT Model #2 and the little house thing on top
Char-Broil Infrared Commercial Gas Grill
Old BBQPRO offset smoker
Old New Braunfels Grill
Various Marine Gas Grills (Magnum, Kaunna...)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: quick smoke of chuck roast for chunky beef chili
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 10:11:26 AM »
This is the right time of the year for chili, that is for sure!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

OldeSmoker

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 03:06:42 PM »
It sounds great. I’m going to have to try that. This forum is great for new ideas and new things to smoke. Thanks for sharing.
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

BBQueen

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 02:40:23 PM »
The restaurant started serving the chili with my smoked chuck. They froze it which sorta bummed me out but they are a low cost taco shack kinda place...(with booze)....I went over today and had a bowl..it was really good. The beef was tender held up well to being frozen for a few days. The light smoke was perfect compliment to the chiles used in the chili sauce. I snarfed it. They make their own chips and it went really well to scoop some out with those.

Being up here in Milwaukee the owner and my partner make a point to not be apologetic for the spicy heat and bold flavors. I concur...they are not afraid to lay some heat on which sets them apart from many of the taco places.

There were beans...I like beans. So no problem there...

Eva in MKE
NEW! Smoke-IT Model #2 and the little house thing on top
Char-Broil Infrared Commercial Gas Grill
Old BBQPRO offset smoker
Old New Braunfels Grill
Various Marine Gas Grills (Magnum, Kaunna...)

colecp

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 05:17:45 PM »
Nice! Coincidentally, I just took some boneless short ribs off my #1 to incorporate into some chili. Lightly smoked with cherry. The smoke makes such a difference. Tis chili season for sure!
Chris Cole
Winnsboro SC

barelfly

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 08:29:20 PM »
I like that look of that...nice, thick chile...sorry, i just can’t say it with an “i” coming from New Mexico! :)
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear