Author Topic: Show us what your cooking - Quarantine style!  (Read 20809 times)

tomd8

Re: Show us what your cooking - Quarantine style!
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 06:29:11 PM »
Mike - I've used this method with a 4 hr poolish (100% hydration) and a 36 hour ferment and it came out pretty good.
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief

barelfly

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 09:45:07 PM »
Can’t wait to see the pizza Tom! I have some sour dough proofing now - I had to get my starter going after neglecting it for some time. Fed it and let it sit out a few days then made some sour dough waffles this morning. should have the bread tomorrow afternoon. I’ve always been interested in reading more about the % hydration method, but I haven’t since I stopped making bread a few years back.

But for tonight, I made some more of the chicken sausage I made last month. Man this sausage is great! So much flavor to it!

Thanks for the continued posts - neat to see what others are cooking!

Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

lgboro

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2020, 07:24:44 AM »
Sourdough pizza crust....haven't done that since heart failure made me make all my food from scratch.  In eastern NC with our humidity mine was probably no a sourdough crust for the purist but made the best pizza I've ever eaten.  I used my old bread machine to make my pizza crust it took a lot of the work out of the process.  If the hoarders have bought all the flour I guess I can through in a couple of sheets of toilet paper to help hold it together :).  I even may my own homemade toppings and sauce to cut out the sodium to get through the bad health patch.  May have to do another one soon...its been years.

Larry from Eastern NC
Retired 1/2 time camper
SmokinIt #1 Smoker
Numerous grills
Outside Kitchen

tomd8

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2020, 07:50:01 AM »
Barfly - chicken sausage looks great.  I've toyed with the idea of making sausage but other than a stand mixer I'd have to buy the grinding and stuffing equipment. Already have too much stuff.

Igboro - I've had starter in my fridge for about 5 years now.  I was making WW bread with minimal salt for HBP.  Unfortunately I haven't made any in months but I do feed it.  Sourdough pizza crust sounds great.  I tried it with WW sourdough but it wasn't great with the toppings I chose.
Tom from New York

tomd8

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 07:42:05 PM »
Here's the pizza I mentioned earlier in the thread.  Even though the dough started to deflate slightly late yesterday it opened fine and rose well.  The crust flavor was good.  Here are a few pics:
Tom from New York

barelfly

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2020, 08:33:19 PM »
Tom! That pizza looks wonderful! Great shape and crust! Outstanding!!!!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

mike1910

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2020, 08:32:13 AM »
Great looking pizza, Tom! Looks delicious!
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

tomd8

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2020, 10:53:04 AM »
Thanks for the compliments.  Not my best pies...not many toppings in the house but they tasted good.
Tom from New York

barelfly

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2020, 09:35:57 PM »
Today is #StayInCookout

So, made some ribs - smoked at 250* four just over 3.5 hours using Memphis dust, then went with a painting of Blues Hog Original BBQ sauce for the last 1.5 hours. These were amazingly good, bone was clean and the flavor was perfect. I really like that Blues Hog Original BBQ sause on pork and chicken!

Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

mike1910

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2020, 10:24:18 PM »
Great looking ribs! I’ve heard a lot about the Blues Hog BBQ sauce. I maybe have to order some up and give it a whirl.
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

Norwester

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2020, 05:16:28 AM »
I made a 10-12 lb batch of mushroom and Swiss brats the other day. I used Owens BBQ seasoning mix and added a couple lbs of Hi-temp Swiss. I discovered I was out of propane in the Weber so I air fried a few earlier. And used the fine dishware too as you can tell.  ;)

Jeff from central Oregon

tomd8

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2020, 08:57:29 AM »
Jeremy – Those look delicious…my mouth is watering and I haven’t eaten breakfast yet.

Jeff – Those sausages look great.  I can use one with my eggs this morning.
Tom from New York

barelfly

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2020, 10:37:33 AM »
Thank for comments! I enjoyed these ribs, really like the Blues Hog and I’m not a BBQ sauce guy. I prefer dry ribs, with a little vinegar dip.

Jeff, that sausage looks great. I haven’t tried making any with cheese at this point, but these sound great! With brats, your process is a fresh sausage style, so no Prague #1 - just grind, stuff and ready to eat once cooked?
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

Norwester

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2020, 04:04:38 PM »
Yep no reason to use cure but some guys do for a little added peace of mind. I did on a batch of chicken Italian sausage, made it really pink when cooked.
And fresh brats are easy, no need to smoke. I'm set up to make either snack stix or summer sausage next, I haven't decided between the two. Either of those will be smoked. It should be easy with the Auber I installed and I'll just use the A-MAZE-N tray for smoke.
Jeff from central Oregon

mike1910

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2020, 07:24:21 PM »
Blackstone breakfast followed by smoke Huli Huli Wing dinner. The shelter at home order is going to cost me about 20lbs. I’m afraid 😂
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3