Author Topic: Help make sense of a type of Salt in an old German Summer Sausage Recipe?  (Read 2268 times)

Wik

I have a few old Summer Sausage recipes that refer to a salt of some type (below are some variations):

Migro Pickel
Mico Pickle
Meikral pickel
Myco Pickle Salt
Freezing Pickle (mico)
1lb box of Mico Pickle

Any ideas of that this is?  I'm assuming it is maybe just Morton Pickling Salt but maybe it was a variation of Tender Quick?
If you heard these terms before and know otherwise let me know!

Thanks,
Wik
Chad from Moorhead, MN
Proud #3 Owner

Wik

I think I found my answer.

Freeze-Em-Pickle or Freeze-Em Pickle by I believe by B. Heller & Co. way back when.
https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/publications/food-nutrition/wild-side-of-the-menu-no-3-preservation-of-game-meats-and-fish/fn155.pdf

www.friscospices.com appears to still supply it, not sure if same of different from original.

Knowing this I think I'll adjust an use Tender Quick at the appropriate amount based on lbs of meat if I decide to move forward.

/Wik

Chad from Moorhead, MN
Proud #3 Owner

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Sure glad you found your answer.  I was getting nowhere fast.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Cheezhead

Our family has an old German recipe as well and the old guys used to refer to this as Salt Peter, or Freezer Pickle.... which is todays Pink Salt #1 cure.  I have been using it for years now.  It's a Cold Smoking recipe that we really enjoy and tweak with spices for heat and flavors.
Love the old school stuff.  Keeping the tradition going  :)