Author Topic: Boston Butt (Where to buy)  (Read 8660 times)

es1025

Boston Butt (Where to buy)
« on: June 30, 2013, 07:25:03 AM »
All
I am going to make pulled pork on the 4th.  I live in NJ where do you thing is the best place to purchase a nice hunk of meat?  I was thinking either Costco or BJ's?

I already have the rub ready to go!

Ed

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Boston Butt (Where to buy)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 01:43:40 PM »
We have Sam's Club in my neck of the woods, which has an incredible meat department.  I buy all my meat there.  The quality is every bit as good as our local butcher shops, and cheaper.  They sell Boston butts in 2-packs, and are always excellent.  I bought a 3-rack package of spare ribs yesterday for $2.28/pound, and they were great.  I hear Costco is very similar, but we don't have those in Arkansas.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 01:57:21 PM »
Here in So-Cal we have no shortage of Mexican meat markets (Carnicerias), I get double packs of bone in butts that are about 12 lbs each.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 05:19:56 PM »
I am in Delaware and plan to get my Boston butt at the local butcher tomorrow.   However, I have heard that you can get Boston butts in 2 packs from Costco, which is what I plan to do the next time I am there.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 08:02:46 PM »
I bought my BB at the local Weis market. I was at Costco recently and noticed the butts were much cheaper but boneless. I've read the boneless butts can fall apart while smoking unless you run a steak through them or some other method of holding them together.
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 09:44:59 PM »
The butts Sam's sells are bone-in, and well-trimmed (at least at my local Sam's).
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 10:46:31 PM »
Honestly, any good local butcher will order them for you at a decent price but even most large chain butchers will do the same if you ask.  The cryovac packs are useful and actually retard freezer burn so don't be afraid to invest in a 4-piece case if you've got the freezer space.

If you're feeling a bit adventurous, Lobel's or Snake River Farms will ship Berkshire, Mangalitsa or Kurobuta pork butts (for a premium) ... let's just say that these cuts of meat are rare and special treats that have a flavor that is damn near perfection.  I haven't used one of these heritage breeds in the Smokin-It yet but dear sweet baby cheeses they're amazing ...

http://www.lobels.com/store/item/berkshire-pork-bone-in-boston-butt.htm

http://store.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kurobuta-pork/bone-in-shoulder/

http://www.debragga.com/products.asp?cat=40

Depending on how close you are to NYC, it may be worth a day trip to avoid the shipping costs and actually use the Lobel's or DeBragga brick-and-mortar stores.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

es1025

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 07:05:13 AM »
I purchased the butt at BJ's.  Almost 8# for about $14. Best part they sell individual units as opposed to multi-packs.  As the quest continue will try other stores.  The meats typically from BJ's are very good.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?