Author Topic: A SV question  (Read 2152 times)

EFGM

A SV question
« on: September 04, 2018, 01:23:41 PM »
My bride has a retreat coming up this weekend with 24 attendees. One night they are having Steak and Baked Potatoes. Not sure what kind of steak but my question is this. Would it be possible and safe to SV the steaks ahead of time up to say 125, either freeze or refrigerate them below 40 and then open up and put on one of the two grills that will be available for them to finish up to their desired temp. They would remain in Vacuum Packages until time of finish. I think that would be 2 days. Thoughts from any experienced with this and any other thoughts or ideas. Someone has asked about smoking them up to 125, vacuum packing and either freezing or refrigerating below 40 as an option. Any and all input appreciated. Thanks
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Limey

Re: A SV question
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 05:04:34 PM »
I don't see why either of those approaches would not work fine and also be totally food safe but since they have two grills available to them why not just grill the steaks in real time.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

barelfly

Re: A SV question
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 09:58:29 PM »
I have not done this with steak, but I have done it with other red meat cuts. Brisket for pastrami being the one cut I’ve done most, chuck roast being the other.

This way is a nice option for the cook to get various temps on the steaks a little easier, either in the water bath or when searing to finish. Just ice bath them immediately out of the SV bath so they drop quickly.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear