Author Topic: 60-day Umai Dry-aged Choice bone-in Rib Roast  (Read 11234 times)

Limey

Re: 60-day Umai Dry-aged Choice bone-in Rib Roast
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 08:29:23 PM »
Popover pans work great. Like Kari, I own several and have just finished teaching my 13 year old grand daughter how to make them. I bought her a couple of pans(among other things) for her birthday. Nobody should be afraid of making these things. In dozens and dozens of attempts I have never had a failure.
Here is the recipe, which I think came from Cooks Illustrated:
POPOVERS-
1 cup (5 ounces, 142 grams)
     all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
2 extra-large eggs
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
vegetable spray
Place oven rack in low position, heat
oven to 450° also preheating 12 hole muffin tin or 6 hole popover pan. Whisk flour & salt together in medium bowl. In 2 cup measuring jug lightly whisk together milk, eggs & butter. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients all at once, whisk until just blended. Return to measuring jug. Grease cups & rims of muffin tin. Fill each cup half full of batter. Bake 20 mins without opening door. Reduce
heat to 350° & bake until brown- 15-20 mins longer. Serve warm. Popovers can be frozen in ziplock bags. Reheat at 325° for 5-10 minutes. Batter can be made ahead & stored in sealed container in fridge for upto 4 days. Bring to room temperature & stir well before using
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 08:45:16 PM »
We have an old cast iron popover pan that gets semi-regular use.  Prior to that just plain old muffin/cupcake pans.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2018, 12:27:53 AM »
60-day dry age was done a week ago. Actually, I ended up going 63 days, since that's what worked with my Saturday dinner plans. Upon unwrapping, there was a very slight tackiness here and there on the surface, along with a slightly unpleasant odor. I've seen youtube videos that have mentioned that happening with these umai bags. I kind of wish I had given it a rinse before I trimmed it, since as I trimmed, I was probably transferring the surface smell to the newly trimmed meat. I just tried not to touch the trimmed part with my gloved hand. The meat underneath had a clean pleasant meat odor. And was bright red. I was going to try and do something with the trimmings, like make stock or something, but the trimmings were far too funky for that. So I tossed them.

My roast was bone-in, so after I had all of the crust trimmed off the meat and the bones, I removed the bones, then tied them back onto the roasts, so the bones would function as a rack in the oven. I made two roasts, and 3 steaks. I vac sealed and froze the steaks and one roast. The finished prime rib roast was really delicious. No funky taste. Just a rich beefy taste, maybe just slightly mushroomy, and not cheesy at all. Best of all was the texture. It was tender and moist, but not mushy.

I vacuum sealed the cooked bones from the roast, and put them in the sous vide at 131 for 3 days to tenderize the meat, which is pretty tough between the bones. I have to say I did not care for the bones/meat. The fat definitely had that funky flavor. Probably because the ends of the bones being porous, soaked in some of the funkiness, so as they cooked, they released some of that funk into the surrounding fat and meat. The meat was also kind of stringy, but not too bad if I just avoided the fat. But next time I'd probably not bother and let the dog have it.

I did not get any pictures of the "cooked" prime rib slices. They pretty much looked like the perfect medium-rare prime rib that we've all had. ;D In the end, I will probably go 45 days next time, and see if I can get the same flavor and texture benefits on the inside, without as much funk on the outside. And if there was a smelly, tacky exterior, maybe give it a good rinse before I trim it up.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 12:33:00 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

TX Gent

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2018, 10:55:07 AM »
TYVM Kari for your reports and update.

Unfortunately my wife eats with her nose more so than with her eyes, which has caused untold consternation on my part since we married thirty nine years ago. Shes from the Ol'Sod and prefers fresh meat which qualifies as burnt offerings in the ....end.  I on the other hand would appreciate the mushroomie somewhat cheesiness rare steak for myself but life is a compromise and marriage more so.

Love to try the beef aging process but would probably stick to the twenty eight day range ...

Onward and Upward toward Smokin-it nirvana
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

SconnieQ

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2018, 02:44:03 PM »
I've found that the shorter times like 28 days do have a really nice effect on the texture, but do not impart any major flavor changes, other than maybe concentrating the beef flavor. Sounds like that's the way to go for you. I find dry-aging to be well worth it, even if just for mostly texture. I think 28-45 days will probably be my range, depending on who is coming to dinner. :)
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Roostershooter

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2018, 03:59:43 PM »
Thanks for the update.  Did you smoke your prime rib roast?  How large was it and how long did it take?

SconnieQ

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2018, 04:47:58 PM »
Thanks for the update.  Did you smoke your prime rib roast?  How large was it and how long did it take?

I roasted the first one. I'm not sure how many pounds it was, but it was a "3-bone" roast. So about 6-7 slices. I wanted to taste the effect of the 60-day dry age without introducing smoke flavor into the mix. I have a second roast in the freezer that I will smoke. I used America's Test Kitchen roasting technique, which starts in a 200 degree oven for several hours, then with the oven shut off for a while, then under the broiler. Similar to how you would cook it in the smoker.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Roostershooter

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2018, 04:53:08 PM »
Ok, I had read here that a dry aged roast will cook much faster than a "regular" roast.  Sounds like the time frame was not affected in your meal taking about the same amount of time.

barelfly

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2018, 10:18:51 PM »
Thanks for the write up Kari.  I don’t know if you’ve done the 45 damage in the past but based on what you said I think this will be spot on for you. No tacky spots on the one I did as well.

And your experience here saved me from trying anything further in the future.

I’ll be interested to hear how the smoked roast turns out as well.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

SconnieQ

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2018, 01:03:12 AM »
Thanks for the write up Kari.  I don’t know if you’ve done the 45 damage in the past but based on what you said I think this will be spot on for you. No tacky spots on the one I did as well.

If you look at my picture #2 of the bone side after removing the bag, you can see some thin brownish lines/streaks on the bones, left by what I think were small wrinkles in the bag. These are the tacky spots I mentioned, that had a somewhat unpleasant odor. In the future if I run across these, I would rinse them off before trimming, rather than spreading them around. Photo included here also.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 01:05:45 AM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2018, 08:18:44 PM »
Great review, Kari!  The things you have cited are why I'm not crazy about doing the really long dry aging.  I love the taste at 28 days.  If I started to trim, and got hit with a funky smell, I wouldn't ever do it again!  I, too, eat/cook with my nose, and a funky smell would totally turn me off!  More power to those that enjoy the 60+ day aging, but count me out.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2018, 10:14:30 PM »
I have never experienced that & I have gone well past 60.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SconnieQ

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 10:17:17 PM »
I have never experienced that & I have gone well past 60.

Yeah, seemed like maybe some trapped moisture in the fine wrinkles of the bag. The meat underneath was fine.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Walt

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2018, 10:30:11 PM »
I understand there a higher chance of this occurring when ageing bone-in.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Roostershooter

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2018, 07:59:33 PM »
I had contacted UMAI earlier about a boneless prime and they suggested that was an easier and better way to age.