Author Topic: Maple Syrup Added To Baby Back Rib Rub  (Read 3237 times)

TX Gent

Maple Syrup Added To Baby Back Rib Rub
« on: November 18, 2017, 08:38:40 AM »
Been doing the usual yellow mustard with a traditional brown sugar plus spice rub on baby back ribs for a number of years and had a thought ...  Has anyone used a little maple syrup as part of the mustard rub combo? Didn't want to overpower the ribs with a strong maple taste but thought it might enhance sugars plus some background after taste.   Thoughts?
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

barelfly

Re: Maple Syrup Added To Baby Back Rib Rub
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 12:41:21 PM »
I’ve used agave syrup on salmon for the same purpose but not on baby backs. It’s milder than maple, so could work for the purpose you are looking for?
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 01:06:08 PM »
Been doing the usual yellow mustard with a traditional brown sugar plus spice rub on baby back ribs for a number of years and had a thought ...  Has anyone used a little maple syrup as part of the mustard rub combo? Didn't want to overpower the ribs with a strong maple taste but thought it might enhance sugars plus some background after taste.   Thoughts?
I'm a modified 3-2-1 guy and maple syrup goes in all my foil wraps.  For non foil wrappers, I'd think making it part of the glaze phase would work nicely. 

« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 01:08:18 PM by SuperDave »
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 08:20:31 PM »
I don't think real maple syrup would overpower anything. It is not a strong flavor, especially when compared to mustard. I think there are people who use maple syrup as you have described.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

drains

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 09:43:14 PM »
Karo syrup a good binder for rubs. It doesnt add any flavor of its own but makes a good glaze. Ive used it on ribs and butts with good results.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

TX Gent

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 07:25:15 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys ...

All worth considering including the agave syrup (TexMex ...hmm) down the road barfly.

Well being the somewhat impulsive type I went ahead and mixed a couple of tablespoons of real deal maple syrup in with the mustard (half n' half) wet base and the results were ... not much in taste or effect. Did the usual baby backs and really couldn't taste any maple anything. Next time instead of the mustard stage I'll add it to the glaze and kick the amount up a notch. I'm shooting for a touch of a wintry woodsy comfort taste change up from the usual pick nick style of ribs.

It does seem like when using honey, the maple sugars tend to evolve and blend in to the background far more than I originally thought.

Keep Smoking!
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

Walt

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 07:56:17 AM »
Cane syrup is what I add with mustard as a binder.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill