Author Topic: Boston Butt Brine -- Wait Time?  (Read 5698 times)

ibbones

Re: Boston Butt Brine -- Wait Time?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 10:49:44 AM »
I take my butts to about 190ish and let them set in the smoker until I pull them, 2-4 hours.  The temp might get to 192-195 and it it looks like it's not going to stop rising, I open/close the door and the temp will drop a bit, just enough to stop the cooking process.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

baran3

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 08:09:40 AM »
Bones, when they reach the 190ish point and you 'let them set in the smoker' until you pull them; clarify that for me please. Do you open the smoker, double-wrap, power off the smoker, then put back in smoker and close door for the 'rest' period? Or are you describing something else here that you're doing prior to the 'rest' period?
Ken from lovely Delmarva Peninsula
Smokin-It #2

ibbones

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 11:18:46 AM »
Bones, when they reach the 190ish point and you 'let them set in the smoker' until you pull them; clarify that for me please. Do you open the smoker, double-wrap, power off the smoker, then put back in smoker and close door for the 'rest' period? Or are you describing something else here that you're doing prior to the 'rest' period?
Yes sir, I turn the smoker off about 190*, sometimes I "crack" the door open/close as fast as I can, just to cool the box temp to below 150* but most of the time, I just let the meat set in the smoker, no wrapping or anything.  That is where I rest the meat.  The smoker will stay hot for hours ( I am in south Texas) so I just leave it in there.  Sometimes I pull, wrap, and towel then into the cooler...or microwave.  DO NOT TURN IT ON!!!!  I just use the small space to help keep the butt warm while it's wrapped. 
I guess I have bouts of lazy kick in every now and then and when they do, I do not wrap or anything, just set the SI to a 140* to make sure everything is food safe and let it rest, or even climb in temperature until time to pull. 8)
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D