Author Topic: Cold Smoked Cheese Set UP  (Read 7848 times)

TexasSMK

Cold Smoked Cheese Set UP
« on: November 25, 2016, 09:26:31 PM »
UPDATE:  Found who I lifted the idea from for below post:  SuperDave gets the Credit and here is the original thread: http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2833.15

I lifted this idea from someone else, sorry I can't find the post to give proper credit.  The poster used beer cans to set a shelf above the smoke vent on the smoker.  I utilized bricks standing up tall and a grate.  I apologize for my lack of details and photos--I made this up as I was smoking some oysters and shrimp--delicious.  Yes, smoked the cheese while the oysters and shrimp smoked.  Placed the cheese on the rack and put my box over it.  Outside temp was about 55F.  Temp rose in the box to 90--so I lifted the box and put it back on.  That works, but I was loosing smoke.  I put a frozen water bottle on the shelf and that kept the temp at about 80F for the next 1.5 hours.  Used Apple wood. Cheese was delicious--yep, consumed prior to thinking about photos.  No taste of the oyster or shrimp on cheese.  So here is my classic set up minus detail pictures--sorry ::)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:43:19 AM by TexasSMK »
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

TX Gent

Re: Cold Smoked Cheese Set UP
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 08:37:29 AM »
Dale, just found your "lifted" box idea and it's actually a pretty cool "out of the box" idea for a quick smoke without anymore investment.

Interesting use of the Smokin-It sir.
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

JustChillin

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 09:45:09 AM »
A great idea! Just thinking, would that be considered as thinking outside the box or inside the box.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 10:51:00 AM »
This was the thread but the pics are no longer active. 

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2833.15
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

TX Gent

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 12:11:53 PM »
A great idea! Just thinking, would that be considered as thinking outside the box or inside the box.

BOTH ...LOL
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

TexasSMK

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 09:31:54 AM »
This was the thread but the pics are no longer active. 

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2833.15
That is it--thanks SuperDave--sorry to I didn't give you the credit up front--will edit and do that now.  It worked great--thinking of building a wood box to fit on top of the smoker. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:45:53 AM by TexasSMK »
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 03:12:26 PM »
Cool idea, you could even cut a large hole in the top of the box and then using duck tape (use as a hinge). This way when it was to hot just open up the vent :)
Best Greg

CarlosJ

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 11:39:32 AM »
I tried this box idea for cheese a couple of weeks ago and it worked great.  I was thinking about making a box with 1"x10" wood.  Pine is cheap, but I wonder if it'll affect the taste.  Oak?

It's going to be 19 degrees this weekend in San Antonio, so I'm not thinking I'll be needing a box :-)

barelfly

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 01:20:57 PM »
Ha! This is brilliant! Love it! Multi-purpose at it’s best.  I’ll have to try this soon before temps start rising.

Thanks for bring this thread back to life.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 01:32:50 PM »
I repurposed a Big Chief smoker for cheese.
Removed the element, drilled a 1 1/2 in hole in bottom, inserted a 1 1/2X 1 1/4 in rubber pipe connector in hole. Big Chief sits on top of #3 and the rubber connector makes a tight seal between the two.  Works really well.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA