Author Topic: Best all around brine????  (Read 15057 times)

Dead👁Daniel

Re: Best all around brine????
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 12:19:19 PM »
Ok couldn't wait any longer bought a 8 1/2 pound pork shoulder roast and put in DM'S brine at 11:00 am this morn and gonna put in smoker tonight at midnight. Gonna use Famous Dave's rub for the first time!
I'm brine and smoke happy today.  ;D
John ohio locomotive engineer
Mes30
Smokin it 3D
Thermopop
Thermoworks dot

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 12:23:13 PM »
Sounds like a winner. Make sure you slather with some yellow mustard before applying the rub. Famous Dave's is a great all purpose rub that is good on all things pork and is great on poultry as well.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Grampy

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 12:25:37 PM »
Ok couldn't wait any longer bought a 8 1/2 pound pork shoulder roast and put in DM'S brine at 11:00 am this morn and gonna put in smoker tonight at midnight. Gonna use Famous Dave's rub for the first time!
I'm brine and smoke happy today.  ;D

John, if you have never brined chicken or a pork butt before you are really going to be impressed with the difference in the final product. Also, great choice of rub for the pork butt, Famous Daves is hard to beat.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Dead👁Daniel

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 04:55:23 PM »
Yes the mustard.
In the pictures of chicken quarters in brine I have them backwards the green brine is mad hunky and vise verse. Two leg quarters of each brine I did not season or will not sauce to give a true test of moisture and flavor.
Mes30
Smokin it 3D
Thermopop
Thermoworks dot

Dead👁Daniel

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2016, 02:39:46 PM »
The results are in. Both brines added moisture and mad hunky gave the most flavor. The game changer had a nice flavor and mad hunky has a taste of its own there was a seasoning in it that really stuck out that reminds me of the chicken noodle soup I make and it calls for rosemary. Not for sure if it's in the ingredients but that's what it seems like.
I don't think I would buy the mad hunkys brine again. I'm not saying its bad but not the flavor I'm looking for.
As far as the game changer brine I would defiantly buy it again.
They were in the brine for 8 hours and I did not rinse them off! The game changer brine I did at full strength.

Now as far as Tipps Slaughter house brine as listed earlier in this post is just as good if not better than game changer brine in my opinion.
When I use tipps brine I never rinse off the brine and it does not taste like salt.

Now to the pork roast I used DM'S brine and famous Dave's rib rub.
I set at 225 and it took 13 1/2 hours. It's the first time I've used DM'S brine and famous Dave's.
And let me tell you what a great combination all I can say is wow yum wow yum yum yum!!!
Thanks for the advise and help. What a great friendly site to belong to.

Mes30
Smokin it 3D
Thermopop
Thermoworks dot

Grampy

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2016, 02:45:41 PM »
John, congratulations on a successful smoke! That is what it is all about, experimenting until you find a combination you like.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2016, 04:28:27 PM »
John, that butt looks fantastic!  So glad you liked the brine/rub combo! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!