Author Topic: Sous Vide Basics - Time, Temperature, and Safety Guides  (Read 33029 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Sous Vide Basics - Time, Temperature, and Safety Guides
« on: February 14, 2016, 02:50:30 PM »
POST #1 – Bacteria and Safety

Here, I will post some of the best information I have found so far, for both beginners and pros. All of the information can be overwhelming, so if you are a beginner, choose a protein, and just focus on learning how to cook that first. Don't try to learn it all at once. I've found that these references explain things in the simplest way, with lots of pictures!

Here is a graph of how low temperature cooking relates to safety. Many of us have been preprogrammed for the basic temperatures the USDA has released to the general public. But for low temperature cooking, the USDA actually has a time and temperature continuum. This graph might seem complicated at first, but once you start to gain a general understanding of sous vide cooking, it will make more sense.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 03:16:30 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

Re: Sous Vide Basics - Time, Temperature, and Safety Guides
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 03:15:05 PM »
POST #2 – Time and Temperature Guides

Now, to the fun part...here are some really great time and temperature infographics. These are from the "Codlo Sous-Vide Guide and Recipes" book. I would strongly urge anyone to download the WHOLE book. It is fantastic! 124 pages covering pretty much everything you'd want to know, all in one place. You can download it for FREE from this link:

http://www.codlo.com/blogs/codlo/17607193-the-ultimate-guide-to-sous-vide-time-temperature

When you click on the link to download, it will prompt you for your email address, then ask what you would like to pay for the book. I shamelessly chose FREE (you have to actually "type" in a zero, even though there is a zero already there, for the free option to work). After looking at the book, I feel kinda bad I did not pay at least a little something for it (but I'm not going to lose sleep over it at this point).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 03:53:44 PM by SconnieQ »
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 03:27:59 PM »
POST #3 – Time and Temperature Guides – pdf files

The details are a little hard to read on the pictures under POST #2, so here are pdf files of the infographics, so you can download to see them better, and print them out if you want.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 03:46:29 PM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 03:40:17 PM »
POST #4 – Additional Time and Temperature Guides

Here are a few other helpful references. I have uploaded pictures, and also pdfs of each that you can download for better viewing and printing. I have also included a pdf of the Safety Graph from POST #1.

Something I find very interesting, is that you can pasteurize your own eggs. This is very helpful for things like homemade Caesar dressing, or anything that uses raw eggs.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 03:43:41 PM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 04:10:33 PM »
Nicely-done, Kari!  I really appreciate you taking the time to do this!  (Btw - I'm doing my combo SI/SV pastrami today!  In the smoker now @ 140.  Going to give it 5 hours of smoke, then SV for 2 days.)

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 04:28:20 PM »
Nicely-done, Kari!  I really appreciate you taking the time to do this!  (Btw - I'm doing my combo SI/SV pastrami today!  In the smoker now @ 140.  Going to give it 5 hours of smoke, then SV for 2 days.)

The only thing I've heard is that the pastrami comes out so juicy and tender, that it might be hard to slice directly from the sous vide. I'll be curious to know. I'm sure you will want to make sandwiches right away! But you might want to chill the rest, and slice when cold. Then vacuum seal and freeze portions of the slices. And to reaheat...of course...sous vide!
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 07:28:58 PM »
We'll know Tuesday evening! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

KY Smoke

• Smokin-it #3D Conversion
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 10:26:00 AM »
Hey Tony.....been following the Sous Vide adventures that you and others have been posting the past few weeks.  Wondering how your SI/SV Pastrami came out this week?  Something that I may want to try.  Looked for a follow up in the Beef section and don't see one yet.  Just curious.  Thanks....Jeff
Smokin-it #3D (Conversion) / Weber Genesis SPE310 / Anova WI-FI / Maverick 733 / iGrill 2
Jeff from Dry Ridge, KY

icebob

Bob from Cahokia, IL

KY Smoke

• Smokin-it #3D Conversion
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 11:35:48 AM »
Thanks Bob.  Totally missed it that section.  Definitely going to try now!

Great Job Tony!
Smokin-it #3D (Conversion) / Weber Genesis SPE310 / Anova WI-FI / Maverick 733 / iGrill 2
Jeff from Dry Ridge, KY

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 10:36:48 PM »
Not sure why I missed this post before, but thanks Jeff! 
Tony from NW Arkansas

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 10:56:15 PM »
POST #2 – Time and Temperature Guides

Now, to the fun part...here are some really great time and temperature infographics. These are from the "Codlo Sous-Vide Guide and Recipes" book. I would strongly urge anyone to download the WHOLE book. It is fantastic! 124 pages covering pretty much everything you'd want to know, all in one place. You can download it for FREE from this link:

http://www.codlo.com/blogs/codlo/17607193-the-ultimate-guide-to-sous-vide-time-temperature

When you click on the link to download, it will prompt you for your email address, then ask what you would like to pay for the book. I shamelessly chose FREE (you have to actually "type" in a zero, even though there is a zero already there, for the free option to work). After looking at the book, I feel kinda bad I did not pay at least a little something for it (but I'm not going to lose sleep over it at this point).

Kari, Link to the full book no longer works. Could you maybe message me the full pdf?
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

SconnieQ

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 11:56:57 PM »
Kari, Link to the full book no longer works. Could you maybe message me the full pdf?

Try this link. You have to type in a zero if you want it for free. Let me know if it works. If not, I will send you a link to download from my dropbox account.

https://gumroad.com/l/codlo
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 11:10:38 PM »
That worked! Thanks!

Try this link. You have to type in a zero if you want it for free. Let me know if it works. If not, I will send you a link to download from my dropbox account.

https://gumroad.com/l/codlo
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2017, 11:32:52 AM »
I've been trying to figure out what the danger actually is for sous vid'ing a steak (ribeye) at 129F for over 2 hours?  Can someone please explain it a little further?

On several occasions, I have cooked Ribeyes at 129 for 3-4 hours.  Mainly because I was waiting on guests to arrive. All of those occasions, they turned out excellent. I've got some friends coming over today and am planning Ribeyes and was thinking I might even cook 4-5 hours in sous vide. But I remembered someone had posted something about it being dangerous for food safety reasons.

If I cook at 131 for an extended time, won't that make the Ribeyes less tender?

How worried should I be if I cook at 129?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas