Author Topic: Auber PID settings  (Read 9038 times)

chopper

Auber PID settings
« on: November 18, 2015, 12:20:22 AM »
Hi guys.  Thanks for the great information on so many topics.  This is my first post and it was good information so I wanted to share.  Over the past year I have been trying to get my Auber to work correctly.  Tried many auto tunes, manual tuning, researching, and reading the instructions I dont know how many times.  In my quest I contacted Auber.  This is the info they sent me from what appears to be tests they ran.  It also gives you some understanding of the PID settings and what they do in easily understandable language. Not sure if this is information everyone has already but I am posting it anyway.   I will attach the attachment for downloading.

Recommended Parameters for Smokin-It #2 Smoker

Summary

PID settings were tested for Smokin-it #2 smoker in the 170 to 250 F temperature setting range. The following setting is recommended: P=30, I=800, d=150. This group of setting seems to offer the best balance between stability, response time and adaptation to ambient temperature change.

Discussion
1) Proportional Band setting P. Setting between 15 and 30 are acceptable. P=15 gives good respond time at250F, but will cause oscillation at lower temperature setting (170). P=30 will cause the system to respond a little slow, but it is stable for a wider temperature range (170-250).

2) Integral Constant, I. Settings between 600 and 800 are acceptable. The default setting of 600 was optimized for Bradley Smoker. Since Smokin-it has better insulation and slower response, I should be set between 700-800. I= 800 offers the best stability. Smaller number will increase the response time, but may cause temperature to oscillate.

3) Derivative Constant D. The setting between 25 to 150 were tested. The effect of D value change to the control stability in this range is not as sensitive as the other two parameters. D=150 gives the best result in terms preventing large temperature overshot. But it sometimes causes small temperature fluctuation (+/-1 F). D=25 reduces the chance of small temperature fluctuation. However, it may not prevent large temperature overshot at initial heat up, especially at lower set temperature. The system may take longer time to stabilize.

Note,
1) The ambient temperature during these testing is between 40 and 70F. So, if the ambient temperature is at 0F, the performance at 170F, will be very similar as our test result at 250F.
2) This setting should have the smoker stabilize at the set temperature in 40-60 minutes.
Apendix:
Parameters Used in Smokin-It's OEM controller
Model 2
Symbol   Description   Initial         
P   Proportional band   60         
I   Integral constant (second)   850         
d   Derivative constant (second)   130         
Model 3:
P   Proportional band   60         
I   Integral constant (second)   500         
d   Derivative constant (second)   130         
Model 4:
P   Proportional band   45         
I   Integral constant (second)   875         
d   Derivative constant (second)   220         
Andrew
Oshkosh WI.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Auber PID settings
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 07:52:00 PM »
Hi Chopper!  Glad you finally joined us!  Sure wish you would have been here a year ago; bet we could have saved you a whole lot of struggling!  If you browse all the Auber sections, you will see that we've pretty much "been there, done that," as the Auber Guinea pigs!

What you will find (or maybe have realized) is that those settings are a great "starting point."  I have found the best way to customize the settings for my smokers is to do an autotune simulating actual cooking conditions.  Not knocking Auber, they're great and very helpful, but I don't believe their tests were set up like we actually use our smokers.  They may have thrown a heat sink in, but that's about it.  They're a bunch of engineers, not BBQ guys.  Loading the smoker up with foil on the bottom, and a water pan next to the smoke box, and at least 3-4 bricks for a heat sink, gives your Auber a chance to adjust and analyze temps just like during a smoke.  You didn't mention how you did your autotunes...like I suggested, or with an empty smoker?  It makes a huge difference.

The point, I'm taking so long to address, is that many users have different numbers than they gave you, and they have very accurate smokes.  I recommend spending a little time in the Auber sections.  You may see something that helps, or may see something you want to set us straight on!  Either way, we're sure glad to have you with us and participating!

Now that you're here, how about a first name and town in your signature line?  We're kind of informal around here. :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Auber PID settings
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 02:36:10 PM »
Surprised nobody caught the line about settings in "Smokin-Its OEM controller."  These are the initial settings used in the new Model 2D, 3D and 4D. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!