Author Topic: Bottom foil  (Read 16366 times)

gmannel

Bottom foil
« on: July 12, 2015, 03:51:41 PM »
From another topic it was mentioned that maybe a foil steam table lid might be easier than the ever so popular job of climbing in and foiling the bottom of the larger units. Indeed on Amazon the full size foil steam table lids from Web Restaurant Store are and almost perfect fit at 13.5 x 21.1 in. Meat would have to be right up against the wall to miss it. Ordered a 10 pack to try. About 0.34 ea for larger pack if they work. Will keep yall posted. 5 lbs jalapeno-soy soaked wings and a Bloomin' Bologna on now!
George - Seguin, TX
Brinkman Trailmaster LE horizontal w/ many mods
6/2015 - SI #3, ET-732 w/ extra meat probe, drain hole enlarged to 1/2"

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Bottom foil
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 04:08:08 PM »
Let us know how it works, George!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

drains

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 05:51:08 PM »
I'm in if it works! I'm all for easier!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 06:15:55 PM »
Since the bottom of the smoker has a cress, that will be the big challenge with the lids, I think.  There will be more standing liquid until it finds the hole.  Don't know what problem if any that would create.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gmannel

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 11:31:56 AM »
I think the foil lid will be easy to crease as well, will know soon as they arrive today.
George - Seguin, TX
Brinkman Trailmaster LE horizontal w/ many mods
6/2015 - SI #3, ET-732 w/ extra meat probe, drain hole enlarged to 1/2"

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 08:24:50 PM »
Kind of sounds like overkill to me... JMO
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 09:39:56 PM »
Kind of sounds like overkill to me... JMO

I kind of agree, Bill, but we'll see how the reviews go.  I guess I haven't had a problem with just HD foil, but maybe I just didn't realize I had a problem! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 09:59:25 PM »
No one should criticize experimentation in a sport like ours.  Some of us take lazy Q to mean no clean up, like scrubbing the bottom of the smoker under the foil, which always collects grease. 

elkins20

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 10:31:16 PM »
I know that feeling Dave, after the BB smoke my foil was sticking to the bottom of the smoker. I scrubbed it, now will clean after every smoke. I still think will go with the HD foil.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 10:42:56 PM »
No one should criticize experimentation in a sport like ours.  Some of us take lazy Q to mean no clean up, like scrubbing the bottom of the smoker under the foil, which always collects grease.

You're right, Dave; that's why I said we need to wait for the reviews of this new technique.  I, personally, believe you'll have the same results.  Why?  Because moisture and grease collects on the sides of the smoker, and runs down to the floor.  Unless you create a seal, between the foil/lids, with the sides of the smoker, you will always have moisture/grease get under the bottom liner.  If I have to clean the bottom anyways, I'm going with the easiest solution to catch the bulk of the drippings.  That may be foil, or it may be the aluminum pan lids...jury is still out!
Tony from NW Arkansas

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 11:51:52 PM »
Foil!

Those side/front/back 90 degree edges get messy even with foil.   

Don't over think it?:)
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

elkins20

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 01:01:30 AM »
When I foil I put it all the way on the back floor, but have it up 3 or 4 inches on either side. And my floor still gets gunk all over it. Which is kind of strange as not very much in the drip pan on the underside? And yes I always make sure that both drain holes are open. And I always have problems with the foil sticking to the floor.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 10:50:30 AM »
Just an interesting fact about my #4.  If I foil the floor and do a pork butt, there will be a layer of fat under the foil at the end of the smoke.  However, if I put an internal drip pan a couple of rack positions under the butt, no fat layer under the foil.  That makes me think that the theory about vertical sides and back are incorrect.   I'm thinking that once the fat/juices are on the foil floor that some capillary action sucks it around the edges or possibly the drain hole itself. 

elkins20

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 11:29:45 AM »
Hey Dave, same thing happened to me when I did the butt in my #1 last Sat. Not only was the floor under the foil a mess. But in the water pan it was full and this smoke just used a 1/2 half pan of apple juice. Also there was about a 1/4 of an inch in the drip pan below the smoker floor. I think you might be onto something about putting a pan under the butt. I know when I did the chuck roast did not have this problem or with ribs.

KAG

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 07:44:20 PM »
Could a quality bakers sheet work?

They make them very close in the size needed. Slide in, slide out