Author Topic: The James Jerky Dryer  (Read 12201 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: The James Jerky Dryer
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 10:10:52 PM »
I understand that you are trying to innovate. But, for me personally, I have not nor will I start widening and drilling extra holes in my smoker other than for an Auber wall probe some day. I love that my smoker is so air tight and does not have a lot of air flow going through it. I think that that is a big reason that my Boston Butts and Ribs turn out so well.

I have a propane smoker and a stick burner that let all kinds of air through and dry out most everything I try to smoke in them. I know that you can foil your meat and spritz and all the traditional smoker tricks, but I bought the Smokin-It so I wouldn't have to resort to all those traditional smoker tricks. It is lazy Q for me and I don't want to have to resort to all that extra work.

To your point about bark, I get awesome bark ALL the time. So, I have a feeling that there is something in your process that is preventing you from getting acceptable bark.

Should you want to troubleshoot your bark issues, I would encourage you to do a search as this has been discussed a few times. Or start a new thread and we will help you get your bark issue fixed.

My two cents.

P.S. Don't get me wrong. The Jerky Dryer has a place when smoking jerky, sausage, and sometimes cheese and chicken.

+1!!  Thanks for saying this, Gregg!  I'm willing to help Funk, who seems determined to make his smoker into something different than designed (hey, it's his money), but I totally agree with you!  I, too, have never failed to have bark that rivals any Q out there, and the only "mods" I have ever done are the holes for the permanent probe, bypassing the stock controller, installing a sub-zero power cord, and a little paint! ;)   These smokers perform great, as designed, and the only "upgrade" is adding the Auber, which doesn't modify how the smoker performs, it just makes the temps tighter.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 10:17:35 PM »
Thanks for those pics.  Looks like a 120mm fan.  That gives me an idea of the ballpark airflow.

Glad you guys are completely satisfied with your setups. 
I'll be there soon.
Appreciate the help along the way.
Joe, in FL
Smoking It #3, Auber PID WSD-1500GPH, 23cfm of boost

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 10:19:08 PM »
Best of luck to you Funked!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 10:23:06 PM »
No problem, Funk!  Like I said - it's your dime!  Hope it works out for you, and you end up with the smoker of your dreams -- I know I did!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!