Author Topic: Newbie #1  (Read 9521 times)

ken386

Newbie #1
« on: December 28, 2014, 03:51:39 PM »
Hey, from SoCal, but travel to Tx quite a bit for business and fell in love with bbq. Just got a #1 for Xmas and am seasoning it today and plan to bbq a tri tip New Years eve for the family.  Thinking about smoking it to 130 and then searing it in the oven for 5 min or so. Any other tips?  Have read thru the forums quite a bit so up to speed on the basics. Thanks!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Newbie #1
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 04:36:24 PM »
That sounds about right, i pulled a pork loin at 141, after broiling at 525 I hit 144. Comparing that amount of gain you will likely end up at 135, medium rare. her is a sirloin roast I did last month, http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2442.0 I brought it up to 130 but thought the color was good and didn't sear it. I wouldn't use more than one medium size block of wood that came with your smoker (about 3 oz). Be sure to post some pics of your smokes.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 08:10:45 PM »
Love tri-tips!  Are you talking tri-tip steaks, or a whole tri-tip roast?  Either way, your plan is solid.  Go with oak to get that good Santa Maria BBQ flavor!  Reverse sear on a hot grill, instead of the oven, if possible.  What are you considering for seasoning?  Let us know how it goes!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

ken386

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 09:00:58 PM »
Ok, results were mixed at best - I would probably have to say I was being kind by saying mixed - it was not that good.  The tri tip roast was one from Costco that was pre-seasoned - I don't think that was the issue.  I used 3 oz of wood and that may have been too much - the wood flavor totally overpowered the taste of the meat and the seasoning.  The meat tasted like a campfire.  Here's what I did - feedback appreciated:

1) prepared the smoker as suggested in the forums
2) Used 3 oz of hickory and apple wood and put half a can of Boddingtons in the bottom
3) Put the tri tip in the smoker and set the temp to 225
4) I watched the smoker temp get up to 252 before I turned it down to 200
5) the tri tip got to 140 in about 90 minutes - thought it would take much longer

The roast was very moist with a slightly pink center - no issues with the texture or presentation.  It was the taste that was off - again like eating a campfire.  Smoking is definitely more of an art than a science - guess I need more art classes.  Not giving up - just learning and moving on.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 09:49:32 PM »
Well, it looks good, Ken!  Here's my thoughts:  2 oz. of wood next time, as maybe you like a milder smoke flavor.  Also, oak is a mild choice for beef.  Next time, don't run the temp up so high - set it to 200 and leave it.  The time it was in that extra 50° was enough to brown the edges a lot more (notice how deep the more done meat penetrates?  You can take that medium center all the way to the edge by keeping a low temp, then reverse-sear.

Experimentation is lots of fun, and it takes doing different things to figure-out what works for you!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

ken386

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 09:50:28 PM »
I just cleaned out the smoker and I think I know what happened.  I think the two chunks of apple wood that I put in there caught fire.  The piece of hickory that came with the smoker turned into nice, white ash while the apple wood chunks appeared blackened like they came out of a campfire.  These apple wood chunks had been around awhile and must have been too dry.  Also explains why I saw the temperature spike and the shortened cooking time.  Guess I should have just waited for the wood I ordered from Smokin-It to arrive.  Hopefully better luck next time - this tri tip ended up in the trash...

ken386

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 10:09:33 AM »
I see some folks put foil around the wood to keep it from catching fire.  Kinda surprised that would would catch fire given the low oxygen environment in the #1.  Do I need to foil wrap wood that is not the dowel type of wood that comes with the smoker?  Input appreciated.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 11:31:25 AM »
Did you notice in the first half hour or so if the smoke coming out was a dark gray color, and did you notice a large "belch" at around 150-180F in the smoker?  If so, then your wood likely caught fire...the heavy dark smoke and belching are the typical results from combustion.    Dry wood will almost always catch fire in the first heating cycle.   I wrap the bottom and sides of my wood chunks with foil to try to minimize the exposure to air around the wood, but I still sometimes get small "puffs" of smoke coming out in the first heating cycle (usually when the smoker gets to about 180-200F).   After the first heating cycle, the wood seems to smoke along OK.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

ken386

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 12:27:13 PM »
I did not notice a belch, but I was monitoring it remotely.  I did see quite a bit of smoke, but don't remember it being black.  The temperature did spike to over 250 even though I only had it set to 225.  I think the wood I used was very dry, but everyone states not to soak the wood in water.  Maybe I need to use the foil method going forward to make sure this does not happen again.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 01:07:17 PM »
If you saw a spike initially in temp but not later in the smoke, then that suggests combustion...I have seen my temp jump over 300F when combustion occurs.    Keep in mind that you will see temp swings with the analog heating element, often around +-15 to 20F from the set temp.  This is not really an problem since the temp will average out at your desired set temp.

For your next smoke, hang out for the first 45 minutes or so to observe whether you are experiencing the "belch"...this usually happens around 180F or so in the first heating cycle. After that, all will be well.   I use the foil method for my wood and I have avoided  the belch!   Let us know how you make out.  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 04:56:53 PM »
I think the two chunks of apple wood that I put in there caught fire.  The piece of hickory that came with the smoker turned into nice, white ash

That is likely nearly six oz. of wood, that is pretty heavy for that small and short of a smoke. The color of the beef is not bad but it indicates a heavy smoke load. I do not foil or soak the chunks, just use less than one chunk on your next smoke and work your way up progressively until you find your preferred taste.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 04:58:24 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 05:04:46 PM »
I have a couple of Tupperware containers to hold my wood chunks.   I put a wet cloth in a baggie inside of the container.   I think this helps to keep the wood moist.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

ken386

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 05:14:03 PM »
Lots of good feedback - thank you.  I measured out the wood to 3 oz, but still trying to figure out how to make sure combustion does not happen again.  If I use foil, aren't I reducing the amount of smoke that's generated?  Maybe it doesn't matter and I just need to try it.  Is there a disadvantage to soaking the wood with these smokers?  As always, appreciate the insights.

Walt

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 05:25:36 PM »
Don't get hung up on the foil business.  I doubt a spike to 250 from a 225 setting was combustion.  Sounds like the norm before it drops to 200.  If you said 275 or 300 then I would think you had combustion.  I had the belch once in the beginning but not since.  I believe the more you cook, the more the smoke builds up on the inside of the unit.  This causes less seepage from around the compression door causeing an even lower o2 level inside.  Observe for awhile & determine if it is an issue for you.  It is not one for me.  I don't foil or ramp up temps.  Possibly the guys who NEED to foil have more seepage.  Just a guess. I know of others who don't find a need to foil either.  This is not a universal problem.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 06:40:37 PM »
I don't bother with foiling the wood. But I do ramp up my smoker temps and do not have any combustion issues.

I run at 140 for 45 minutes, and then go up to my desired smoking temperature.

Using this method, I do not have any belch issues.

Foiling the wood works as long as you are doing 200+ degree smokes. For cold or low temperature smokes, you won't get enough or any smoke when the wood is foiled.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.