Author Topic: Pickled Fish  (Read 3144 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Pickled Fish
« on: June 16, 2014, 11:22:03 AM »
Pickled Fish
I did lake trout, and it was awesome. Steven Rinella of the Meateater TV show does Northern Pike this is his recipe.

1 pound fish filets cut into bite size pieces
1 cup kosher salt
1 quart Distilled White Vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
approx 1 inch of fresh horse radish pealed and sliced
four slices of peeled fresh ginger
1 red onion sliced
2 garlic cloves
4 cloves
1/2 tsp. peppercorns
2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp whole allspice berries
1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
3 bay leaves

Combine the salt and 1 quart water dissolve all salt. Add the fish and brine for 24 hours. Discard brine do not rinse fish. Reserve 1 cup vinegar then add remainder of quart to the fish. Brine for an additional 24 hours.
Combine reserved vinegar with 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup sugar then boil and cool. layer fish spices and vegetables in mason jars and add the sweetened brine. Allow flavors to marry at least three days prior to eating. It keeps for several weeks without a problem. My Uncle rationed his quart from Christmas until nearly Easter, but use your own judgement.

* Options, I did not add the cayenne pepper when I made it and never missed it. Also there was no fresh horseradish available so I used sliced radishes. Radishes pickled great, very tasty and looked fantastic in the jars. We also added more garlic so that there was one small clove in every jar. The same with the bay leaf they were broken into pieces to spread them out. I used several sizes of canning jars because some of these were given as gifts. I made a double batch of the sweet brine to have  fill all the jars. Sanitize your jars in the dishwasher and use new seals. If you desire you can ad a little sour cream to a portion of the fish just prior to serving. If you make this you will likely never buy pickled fish again. I also know it is likely may of you don't buy pickled fish now.
In Michigan this is a great use for lake trout that are often very oily and not a preferred eating fish.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud