Author Topic: Dry Cured Bacon  (Read 21162 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Dry Cured Bacon
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 04:30:56 PM »
Mix a batch of cure, dump about one cup of cure in a baking dish large enough to hold that chunk of belly. Dredge the meat in the cure mix patting and rubbing as you progress. Pick up the fully covered belly and gently sake of excess.

That is referred to as the "Salt-Box" method. It is by far the simplest way to go. Be aware that you can get A LOT of salt to stick to the belly if you try. What you want is a nice even coating. I have some picks of it on the original posting. Do not attempt to reuse any cure that  excess and came in contact with the meat. Seal remaining cure in an airtight container.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2015, 05:33:43 PM »
Hey Brian, Want to try my hand at BBB as called several places today looking for a pork belly. None to be had, but there are some Asian grocery stores that I have not tried. Am going to get a 7# to 8# Boston Butt and take the bone out myself. Then cut in half. I can just dredge in your recipe until it will not hold any more cure mixture. Then into the zip lock with brown sugar and maple syrup. And your recipe will work for Buckboard bacon, right?
Thanks,
Bill
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2015, 07:18:32 PM »
Yea that will work, it just needs to be well covered not caked on. I haven't done butts just belies but have watched a few videos where the butts were de-boned and split in half so the entire thick meaty fat cap was "belly like". If you picture the fat cap as being the skin side, that entire skin side layer was removed about 1.5 inches deep.
- Sigmund Freud

elkins20

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 07:31:31 PM »
Brian where do you have luck getting your bellies? I tried wal-mart, restaurant depot, different price choppers and one Hi Vee. None had them. And from what some say they are kind of pricy. That is one of the reasons I wanted to try my hand at a Butt first. I will also look at some videos on you  tube. Just with the new computer the older videos play but the sound is messed up.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 07:34:45 PM »
Brian where do you have luck getting your bellies? I tried wal-mart, restaurant depot, different price choppers and one Hi Vee. None had them. And from what some say they are kind of pricy. That is one of the reasons I wanted to try my hand at a Butt first. I will also look at some videos on you  tube. Just with the new computer the older videos play but the sound is messed up.

Bill,

I had the same problem trying to find, I did a search for local butchers and found one 40 miles away. We live in a small town (Saint Augustine Fl) so 40 miles was the closest. They always seem to have 4-5 lb. bellies on hand. I have one in the freezer that I plan to do in the near future.

Greg

elkins20

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2015, 08:44:07 PM »
Hey Greg Tony and I have many ideas on smoking the cobra if it shows up in your area.  ??? I just did some local groceries. I am going to try the buckboard bacon using a Boston Butt. Then in the mean time will give me a little more time to see if can find one. 40 miles would be a nice bike trip. I did a 7# brisket today and it came out not so good. I tried the rub from Texasbbqrub.com that I was sucked into buying when I purchased the bbq gloves from that site. I also tried the tender quick on it and had a nice smoke ring. I used some red oak and maple from smokinlicious and it had a good smoke flavor. Just the rub ruined it so back to John Henry's pecan rub. Thanks for the advice.

elkins20

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2015, 10:36:33 PM »

Bill,

I had the same problem trying to find, I did a search for local butchers and found one 40 miles away. We live in a small town (Saint Augustine Fl) so 40 miles was the closest. They always seem to have 4-5 lb. bellies on hand. I have one in the freezer that I plan to do in the near future.

Greg

After doing some searching I found a local butcher shop about 30 min. from my house that sells pork bellies at 4.89 per pound. But, only in 2 or 3 pound sizes, I think I can work with this.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2015, 11:01:36 PM »
FYI for future reference our local Costco has started carrying pork belly. You might check that out.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

elkins20

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2015, 12:47:15 AM »
Thanks Bob I will check them out as would like to try and find some 5# bellies. But, found one other butcher here that is selling the berkshire pork. And bellies are $8 per pound. I also want to check Sam's and see if they have them.

capeguy

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2016, 05:54:20 PM »
Thanks to all on this thread for your help on my first attempt at bacon.  I did have a hard time getting it to smoke at 100 degrees however.  It was 60 degrees outside today.  I'll let this sit in the fridge overnight before slicing and frying the bacon.  I've attached a picture

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2016, 08:44:22 PM »
We typically buy two whole hogs a year so that's a good bit of belly. I have seen some nice bellies at Costco, I would call them frequently and ask them to hold some if they are in. Oriental and mexican stores often have them also.
- Sigmund Freud

GoodForTheSport

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2017, 12:04:06 PM »
Is the pink salt 100% required for the cure?

Thanks, Ray

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2017, 08:39:52 PM »
You can not use it if you don't mind possible sickness and death.
- Sigmund Freud

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 10:36:01 AM »
+1 to Brian. It is just not worth the risk to leave pink salt out.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

barelfly

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2018, 08:25:04 PM »
I have 8lbs of belly curing today, using the basic process above. I didn’t think to look hear but read this in the book Charcuterie. I tried three different types since this is my first go at bacon. Basic recipe for one, one added 1/4 cup of brown sugar and then a savory batch of garlic, pepper and bay leaf. Each is about 2.75lbs. Looking forward to trying this.

One question I do have, why the 1-2 day air dry in the fridge? Does it help with the flavor, similar to a dry age steak or dry brined steak?

Thanks for the pics and steps above.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear