Author Topic: Brine for Boston Butt  (Read 95869 times)

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Brine for Boston Butt
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 09:07:16 AM »
  ;D
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2014, 01:34:06 PM »
DM, very close to my brine.  I've started adding some of my rub to the brine with good results. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2014, 01:55:46 PM »
Looking forward to seeing your rub recipe, Dave!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

RG

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 02:20:11 PM »
How would you adapt this brine to fit an equilibrium brining method? Follow the DDF calculator as far as the sugar and salt and pink salt go and then just add the listed amount of vinegar, cayenne, black pepper, garlic and onion powder?

DivotMaker

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 04:45:38 PM »
How would you adapt this brine to fit an equilibrium brining method? Follow the DDF calculator as far as the sugar and salt and pink salt go and then just add the listed amount of vinegar, cayenne, black pepper, garlic and onion powder?

Very good question, Jason!  I'll have to give this one a little thought.  This is one that I've always just stuck to the gradient brine method, because I found the time that works for me.  I think you're right, as far as following the calculator for sugar, salt and cure; the only question would be the ratio and percentage of salt.  This would take a little experimentation to find the right mix.

The good thing about converting this to an EQ brine would be that you could predictably use it on smaller cuts, without having to find the ideal time factor. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2015, 08:58:33 PM »
Not really finding an answer for my question. But, for safety sake after puttting the BB in the brine I assume it goes in the fridge for the 12 hours?
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2015, 09:29:21 PM »
Not really finding an answer for my question. But, for safety sake after puttting the BB in the brine I assume it goes in the fridge for the 12 hours?

Absolutely, Bill!  The brine should be chilled to start with, then the meat and brine in the fridge for the duration.
Tony from NW Arkansas

TARDISgirl

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2015, 12:19:34 PM »
Brined my first butt! Used the recipe mostly as posted: substituted smoked paprika for the cayenne, and dried onion flakes for the onion powder. Let it sit overnight, coated in mustard and used Salt Lick rub. 4oz maple and 2oz hickory.
Michelle from Arizona
Owner Model #1, #3, and Weber Q1000 (Small, but Mighty!)

DivotMaker

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2015, 09:33:28 PM »
Sounds like good substitutions, Michelle!  Let me know how it turns out!
Tony from NW Arkansas

TARDISgirl

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2015, 10:30:16 PM »
Turned out great! I brought it in for a potluck at work, and it was declared best effort yet. It was amazingly juicy and flavorful. Add me to the list of brine converts!
Michelle from Arizona
Owner Model #1, #3, and Weber Q1000 (Small, but Mighty!)

DivotMaker

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2015, 01:18:57 PM »
Welcome to Club Briney-Q, Michelle! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2015, 11:03:33 AM »
Divot,

I am using your brine right now on 3 - 10lb butts, plus I injected them before rubbing. I woke up this morning and realized that in my haste laste night, I neglected to rinse the brine off of them. I'm hoping the salt and instacure aren't going to ruin the taste for our feast. Dadgumit!!!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2015, 11:13:15 AM »
Hey Libohunden, if you haven't put it in the smoker yet, rinse and reapply the rub. You will be glad you did.  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2015, 11:20:02 AM »
Bob, I'm already 13 hours into the smoke. Didn't realize it till I woke up this morning.  I've made this mistake before but not with instacure. This is the second time I've used the instacure and not sure how it's going to effect the taste. Hopefully, it's just a little salty and that's it.

It was a pain to brine 30lbs of butt and with everything going on, I just plumb forgot to rinse.  Frustrating but still hoping for acceptable results. I would hate to have to trash 30lbs of butt.
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2015, 02:24:32 PM »
You should be ok, Libo, if your rub didn't have a lot of salt.  At least with pulled pork, you are mixing it together with the meat that has virtually no salt, so you should be good.  On something like a brisket, though.... :o
Tony from NW Arkansas