Author Topic: How to install a permanent Auber temperature probe  (Read 117014 times)

Carp210

Re: How to install a permanent Auber temperature probe
« Reply #105 on: April 04, 2015, 12:02:02 PM »
I used new titanium and mine went right thru no problem.  I know it sounds stupid but check to make sure your drill is not running in reverse.  I happens some times without you noticing.  Good luck.
Dave from SW Pa.  (Steeler,Pirates,Penguins Country)
Weber gas grill, Weber 22.5 Charcoal Smoker
Retired husband and Grandad
Weber Genesis S-330 with Grillgrates
Si model#2, 800 watt, Auber, with fixed probe.

TexasSMK

« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2015, 08:03:50 PM »
     DivotMaker--I ordered the wall mounted PID sensor from Auber vice Smokin-it.  I noted something that may need to be reported.  On the Smokin-it site the only wall mounted PID sensor I saw listed is product code: WS-SENSOR05.  On the Auber site it specifically says that this product code will not work on the PID I bought from Smokin-it Product Code: WSD-1200GPH.  From Auber site: "Please note, this sensor will not work for the A, B, and G series WS or WSD controllers (model number WS-XXXXA, WS-XXXXAPH, WS-XXXXB, WSD-1200GPH, or WSD-1500GPH). It does not work for Auber SYL series controllers either."
     Appears this is true for the PID Smoker Controller, Dual Probes 1800 watts product code/model# WSD-1500GPH.
     After more research on the Auber site I found that product code/model number: WS-Sensor11 is the right product for the PID I bought WSD-1200GPH and the WSD-1500GPH.
     Just my observations--correct me if I am wrong.  Dale
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 08:31:00 PM by TexasSMK »
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2015, 10:15:38 PM »
Good observation, Dale!  It's a website error that Steve has to fix.  The probes he sells now are the ones for the GPH (large plugs), not the old style.  Looks like I need to poke him again about getting this done! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TexasSMK

« Reply #108 on: April 17, 2015, 10:24:24 PM »
Thanks Tony--I have been reading a lot on the different forums.  Noticed this issue was found earlier.  Hope to be smoking by next weekend.   :D
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

TexasSMK

« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2015, 09:27:58 PM »
I installed the sensor and bypassed the controller.  Thank you for all the great advice in this forum. Sorry no pictures--no way I could out do, or add to what you fine gentlemen have already provided.  Will auto tune tomorrow morning--hoping to do my first smoke tomorrow afternoon-venison steaks.  Plan is to smoke them at low temperature for purposes of flavor--pull them out and finish on grill.  Wish me luck! 

DivotMaker

« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2015, 10:02:38 PM »
Congrats, Dale!  Sounds like you're set up, and have a plan!  Be sure to post something about your cook (for drool purposes, of course!). ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

paidin

« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2015, 08:41:03 AM »
congrats on your bypass and conversion!  I know I am glad I made the modification and bypass.
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

TexasSMK

« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2015, 07:22:31 PM »
Thanks to all for your help I have now completed my second smoke.  This one lasted six hours and my set up required three steps on the Auber.  Here is the SMOKE:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3285.0
The system worked great.  Over shot the 225F temp initially--ramped up to 232F, but cooled back to 225 pretty quick.  Once back down to 225 it held steady for over four hours.  Very impressed with this system, and thank again for all your guidance and instruction in this forum.  Much thanks to Tony, and all that have posted in this Subject forum--could not have done it with out it. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2015, 07:08:51 PM »
Glad it's working out for you, Dale!  Thanks!
Tony from NW Arkansas

TexasSmoke

« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2015, 10:16:48 PM »
I got my permanent probe installed today.  Thanks to everyone's great advise it was pretty easy.  I used some cobalt (material not brand) drill bits that worked fine.  I dipped them in cooking oil about every 10-15 seconds or when I saw any smoke.  I started with a pilot hole and then went with the 5/16" hole.  I started slow but went to high gear and I was through in no time.

I put my probe down about 1-1/2" from the inside top.  As mentioned earlier there was a spot weld on the back right at the 1" mark.  I used the 1" nylon spacer from Lowes and it worked like a champ.

I drilled another 7/16" hole on the bottom for the cord to go through.  Once the grommet was in the connector would not fit. I had to put the connector thought the hole and then push the grommet over the connector and then install the grommet. If I had to do it over I would drill a 1/2" hole and I would of been ok.  I have the WSD-1500GPH and the WS-sensor11.

I will do an auto tune tomorrow. Thanks again!
Smokin-It 3 & Auber PID, Viking outdoor grill

Ron from League City, TX

DLRobinson

« Reply #115 on: July 03, 2015, 03:51:18 PM »

However, it's been pointed out that the smarter move is to route the wire along one of the power wires, and out through the same hole as the power cord! (Duh!).  Still can't believe I didn't think of this!  If I install another one, that's what I'll do.

I gave this some thought before installing the permanent PID probe and I really like having the wire run out the back instead of out the bottom.  I figured since the meat probe would have to run down the top vent anyway, running the smoker probe straight out the back of the unit keeps the two leads at equal lengths.  I also have the smoker sitting next to a prep table that I like to put the Auber PID on while smoking.  Running the wire out the back of the cabinet allows me to have more lead length.  I did add a wire anchor just in case I ever accidently snag the wire on anything. 

Thank you for the write up, it was very helpful for mounting the probe!
David from Chesterton, IN
Model #4  Auber 1503GPH PID

DivotMaker

« Reply #116 on: July 03, 2015, 04:06:02 PM »
Good idea on the anchor, DL!  Nice to have you with us.  Be sure and head over to the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself, and BBQ experience.  Also, a first name and town, in your Forum Profile signature line, is nice to see.  We're kind of one big family here, so we like to know our new family members!
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2015, 08:07:13 PM »
Quick question, I have the SI#1 would you suggest mounting the sensor 1 inch from the inside top of the smoker or just below the top rack? I should get my pid next week. And will be doing the modifications then, both the bypass and adding the permanent sensor. I spoke with Auber this morning and mine should ship today. Also was able to change my order am getting the permanent sensor for $2.00 additional charge. I may call Steve this morning and get his thoughts on the mounting area in the #1.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 04:33:28 PM by elkins20 »
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2015, 10:42:28 PM »
Quick question, I have the SI#1 would you suggest mounting the sensor 1 inch from the inside top of the smoker or just below the top rack? I should get my pid next week. And will be doing the modifications then, both the bypass and adding the permanent sensor.
I'll be interested to follow the answers on this.  With a #1, the space is pretty tight and I'm curious if the pat answer to this question will apply. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2015, 04:37:59 PM »
Hey Dave, Read some advice on the Smokin-It site under Instructions. Looks like it was in a #1 and was mounted 3/8 inch under the top rack. I am leaning towards going with an inch from the inside top of the smoker. As I do ribs on the top rack. But, probably for brisket and butts will do the middle rack. Eventually will also get a third rack but not sure what I would smoke there as it will be very close to the smoke box.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri