Author Topic: Pork butt and spares...questions on timing  (Read 9157 times)

chs4

Pork butt and spares...questions on timing
« on: April 10, 2013, 11:56:07 AM »
Received my SI#2 yesterday and will be christening it this weekend with a butt for pulled pork and a couple racks of spare ribs.  Have not purchased the meat yet, but will probably be looking at a 7.5-8lb. butt.  Would like to have all ready for dinner around 5pm Sunday night. 

Based on that I figure the butt should go on around 11pm Saturday.  Since I'm cooking to temp and not time I'm going to plan for 2 hrs/lb to be sure it's done in time, which means 14-16 hours of cook time plus a couple hours to rest should put me right around my 5pm goal.

Ribs will be 3-2-1, so the plan is to throw them on around 10am so that I can pull and rest them for a bit.

When I put the ribs on at 10am I'm going to need to add wood...I assume this won't be a problem since by then the butt will have absorbed about all the smoke it's going to take anyway...correct?  I don't want to "oversmoke" the butt.  Would I be better off starting the butt earlier on Saturday so that it reaches IT before the ribs need to go on, and cooler the butt for several hours until the ribs are done? (pulling right before serving)

I realize this is an inexact science and there are many variables that can't even be accounted for until I'm actually into the smoke and see how things are progressing, but I would appreciate any and all comments and suggestions nonetheless.

Thanks!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Pork butt and spares...questions on timing
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 10:41:20 PM »
chs4 -

I sure hope some others chime in on this with their own experience doing ribs and a butt at the same time since I have not.  But let me give you my opinion, for what it is worth.

First off, let me say that your idea for wrapping and putting the butt in the cooler then doing the ribs sounds more sane than my idea; I like it.  But as an optional method, which I have NOT done or tried myself, read on:

What I would do, and this is where I hope others chime in, would be to start both at the same time, and since you say you will do the 3-2-1 method for the ribs, pull the ribs at the 3 hour mark, wrap them and refrigerate them till the next day, then set them out an hour or so before placing them in the smoker.  As you hit the stall point on the butt, maybe 10 degrees to go to temp, put the wrapped ribs in for the 2-1 finish.   I say that because it has taken me close to 3 hours to finish the last 10 to 15 degrees (cooking to 180/185 internal).  By the way, I have not had two stall times the same ever!

That is what I would do. Not very exact, but having over smoked a butt before, I developed a strong aversion to creosote coated meat. I have over smoked a butt, once. Inedible. Really. While the meat can only absorb so much smoke and penetrate only so far, adding additional wood will deposit smoke on the exterior/bark. It may be too much.

Good luck and happy smoking.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

chs4

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 08:14:08 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

I think I'm going to play it safe and pull the butt before the spares go on.  I'm not too concerned about holding the butt for a few hours in the cooler, so that seems to be the most tried-and-true method.  I would be curious to hear from anyone who has done what you suggested however.  Being able to par-cook the ribs the day before for 3 hrs. and finish up the next day could come in handy some day.  Hopefully someone has tried this and can chime in.

kujobie

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 09:57:06 PM »
My suggestion would be to wrap the butt good in heavy duty foil when you put the ribs on.  I usually do this anyways with butts during the last several hours of cooking.  I wrap good with foil and add some apple cider and/or vinegar in with it.  It's not traditionalist but it keeps it from drying out and, in your case, would keep it from being over smoked.

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 08:31:17 AM »
Just wanted to revive this thread to see if anyone tried any of the suggested methods and their results and/or suggestions.

I'm planning to do the butt/ribs combo next month.
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 12:30:32 PM »
With regard to the ribs, the 3-2-1 method is sound, especially if you finish them up on the grill to get a nice caramelized sauce.

On the pork butt, I prefer a much heartier bark, something that foiling often discourages.  You're essentially steaming the pork when it's enrobed in foil ... this is great for moisture retention but not so shiny for the texture most often associated with true slow smoked bbq.

I have found that an injection (apple juice, a little sriracha, simple syrup, salt, white pepper and some worcestershire sauce) in the meat along with the VERY moist environment of the Smokin-Its is all you need.  A few spritzes, or use of a water pan, are all you need to accomplish the task all the while promoting better texture and a great bark. 

That being said, you will see longer stalls without foiling but "low and slow, that is the tempo" is more than just a lyric by the Beastie Boys ... it's a way of life.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

es1025

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 07:40:47 AM »
Joe
I am making a butt on Thursday, I am assuming about 12-15 hours of cook/rest time.  Do you think that's enough time? 

Couple of other questions:

Should I inject?

Should I consider wrapping at around 150 to lessen the stall?

If I don't wrap should I consider a water pan?

6 oz of wood too much?

Any advise would be helpful.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 09:58:29 PM »
Joe
I am making a butt on Thursday, I am assuming about 12-15 hours of cook/rest time.  Do you think that's enough time? 

Couple of other questions:

Should I inject?

Should I consider wrapping at around 150 to lessen the stall?

If I don't wrap should I consider a water pan?

6 oz of wood too much?

Any advise would be helpful.

Ed, I'm no expert, but I'll throw you my advice.  If you're planning on 12-15 hours, you don't need to foil a butt - let it work through the stall on its own.  I think NOT foiling gives a more chewy bark (which looks good, too).  The butts I get are 8-9 pounds; how big are you planning on cooking?  8 lb butt @ 225 should take about 13 hours.

Definitely use a water pan throughout the cook.  I use apple juice in mine, but there are as many opinions on this (what to put in the pan) as there are flavors of bbq sauce!  Some say water only, some say juice, some say beer...you get the idea.  The main thing is to add moisture in an almost-sealed environment (Smokin-It cookers).

Injection?  I can't imagine a butt any more moist than the one I just did, so I'll save the injection for meats like brisket.  The pork butt has lots of fats to dissolve into the meat, so it's going to be hard to dry it out.

Wood:  I don't think 6 oz. is too much at all.  You want good smoke penetration up to 140 IT +, so that should be fine.  I like a mix of hickory and peach on pork, or hickory and apple. 

Bottom line - a Boston butt for pulled pork is almost idiot-proof, provided you go low and slow.  Great cut of meat for pulled pork!  You'll be the hit of the party on the 4th!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

UWFSAE

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 10:32:22 PM »
ES1025,

Hmmm ... some of the response are subjective on my part so I'd cherry pick the various responses you'll get.  Divot's remarks are solid concepts, which just illustrates the delicate balance of this hobby between art and science.

1.  COOKING TIME:  Honestly, between ambient conditions and the vagaries of each hunk of meat, I think the time would be accurate for a bone-in 8-10lb pork butt.  I find a ton of 8-12 lb cryovac bone-in butts locally so I tend to stick with that; the last one I did (8.5 lbs, 225 degrees, outside temp in the mid-80's) took right at 13 hours to hit 175 for sliced ... if you're looking at pulled you'll go to 200-210 degrees.  The stall point will make you doubt your sanity but ride it out.

2.  INJECTION: I've experimented with injections with both pork loin and pork butt; when you've got a reduced amount of fat it does help but most butts have ample fatty goodness to work with.  I do, however, like adding a bit of internal flavor as I'm partial to sliced pork rather than pulled pork.  A simple pork injection could be something like apple juice, table salt, sugar, Worcestershire, and some lemon juice ... if you want, I can post the measurements under Recipes; I actually use a spicier injection on occasion with some Sriracha added for a little kick.  My gut would be determine the flavor profile and the final prep (sauced, un-sauced, type of rub, etc.) and make your call based on that.

3.  WRAPPING:  When you wrap you can damage your bark (one of the best parts of pulled pork, IMO).  The stall is actually a useful part of the rendering process so I'd simply stock up on good beer and let the meat choose it's own adventure.

4.  WATER PAN:  It doesn't hurt, but a spritzing with apple juice or a mop (I've actually used everything from homemade mopping sauce to soft drinks for this) are all you'll need.  The water pan will primarily help create a stable and moist environment but only imparts minimal flavor to the bark ... a more direct method is better if you're looking for flavor enhancement.

5.  WOOD:  6 oz of wood is fine ... this really depends on what type of wood you'll be using.  I love apple, peach or cherry for this so I might actually do 4-5 ounces of fruitwood and then do a 2 ounce reload as the meat gets to 140.

If you can let us know the weight of the butt and the if you're pulling, slicing or chunking the finished product, as well as what type of wood, I can give you a bit more. 
Joe from Houston, TX

es1025

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 12:16:21 PM »
Thanks Joe and divot
looking at a 6-8 lb butt, will be using cherry wood and intend on pulling the meat. I plan on starting tomorrow night around 11pm to midnight. Hoping for no rain.

Ed from Northern NJ

UWFSAE

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 01:14:29 PM »
With the 6-8 lb. butt I think you're wise to do the overnight smoke.  The stall will frustrate you to no end ... hell, the internal meat temp may actually fall a few degrees after it hits 160 or so.  Ride this out and you will definitely be rewarded.  I think 13-14 hours if you're looking to hit 195-200 degrees or so is probably a reasonable guess (assuming the 8 lb. butt).

With an overnight smoke, a water pan may not hurt as you're probably not going to want to drag yourself out of bed at 4:00 a.m. for a quick apple juice spritzing ... an injection would take care of internal moisture but a little lovin' for the exterior won't hurt.  Be warned that every spritzing will drop that internal temp result in some smoke loss ...

With regard to the pulled pork, definitely hold the meat (wrapped in heavy duty foil, enrobed in some old towels) in a cooler for a bit to let the juices properly redistribute prior to pulling. 

For the actually pulling of the pork, forks work but fingers are better.  I personally use Bear Paws for pulled pork and have zero complaints:  http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Paw-Meat-Handler-Forks/dp/B003IWI66W/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1IGCSRY9GXKE6&coliid=I3QGH0Y76Q78NM

If you're not liking those, Meat Rakes are something many people swear by:  http://www.amazon.com/Meatrake-MR2-BBQ-Tool-2-Pack/dp/B007L1QYBU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1IGCSRY9GXKE6&coliid=IGQNH6HGW9K2S

Either of these are accessible with 2-day Amazon Prime shipping; I just ordered some heavy duty tongs to replace my old set and they'll be arriving on Friday prior to a few racks of ribs being thrown in the smoker.

Good luck, Ed ... be sure to post some pics!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 03:32:07 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 07:59:28 PM »
Good luck, Ed!  I think Joe pretty much hit on all the high points, and then some....great advice from him, as usual!  The trick is to find what works best for you; I've pulled some very good advice, techniques and recipes from our little forum.  Throw some pics on for us to salivate over when you can!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

es1025

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 06:57:48 AM »
Thanks Joe & Tony

I will do my best to operate the camera at midnight.
Buying the goods this morning.
Plan on resting the meat for at least two hours in the cooler.  Plan on serving at 3-4pm tomorrow.

I do have a pair of meatrakes, they work as advertised.  I have used them a few times when I make pulled pork in the crock pot.

I ordered a good boning knife and some insulated BBQ gloves from Amazon.

Ed
Ed from Northern NJ

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 05:47:40 PM »
Thanks Joe & Tony

I will do my best to operate the camera at midnight.
Buying the goods this morning.
Plan on resting the meat for at least two hours in the cooler.  Plan on serving at 3-4pm tomorrow.

I do have a pair of meatrakes, they work as advertised.  I have used them a few times when I make pulled pork in the crock pot.

I ordered a good boning knife and some insulated BBQ gloves from Amazon.

Ed

Sounds like your set for a great night!  If it's cooked right, you won't need the boning knife - just a little twist and pull, and it should come out clean as a whistle!
Tony from NW Arkansas

es1025

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 07:17:08 AM »
Tony
The boning knife was for cutting the excess fat off the meat.  Did not have one in the house.
Ed from Northern NJ