Author Topic: First cook - STL Style Ribs on the Model 3  (Read 3521 times)

rickne

First cook - STL Style Ribs on the Model 3
« on: October 31, 2013, 02:48:54 PM »
I couldn't stand it.  I put ribs on.  It was a total impulse decision.

I seasoned the smoker a 2nd time this morning.  Turned it off and let it cool while I went to the store and bought STL Style ribs and some other things I needed.  Came home, mixed up a batch of UWFSAE's Sweet Heat Pork Rub and had the ribs loaded and cooker turned on at exactly 1pm.

Set it at 250 with 2 chunks of hickory.  Stuck my Maverick in the top but didn't mount to a grate.  I'm not too worried about meat temp or cooker temp.  Right now it reads 215 (at 1:30).

I guess we will see how it goes.

Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: First cook - STL Style Ribs on the Model 3
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 03:15:17 PM »
Way to go, Rick!  I knew you wouldn't be able to wait that long!! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

rickne

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 03:36:14 PM »
Here is a better picture of my maiden voyage.

rickne

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 09:17:19 PM »
Pulled then off around 7pm.  About 6 hours...  but I was more curious then I should have been during the cook and opened up the cooker more than a few times. 

I've never done St. Louis style ribs and I've never cooked on an electric so I wasn't exactly sure what I was looking for to show if they were DONE.

I put  a probe in just to give me a guide.  I pulled them at 175.  I'm glad I did because I would have let them go longer based on appearance.

I'd give them an A-.  They were perfectly done.  The small ends were falling off the bone, the big end was a little tough, the middle of the rack was perfect.  Great moisture.  Good bark.  I think I had them just a hair too smokey.  Not bad at all, but just a tiny bit heavy.  I liked the rub but I would have liked a little more sweetness.  Might try a bit more sugar in the rub and will definitely go with a sweeter wood. I did not put any sauce on them in the cooker.  I serve them dry.  Sauce would certainly added that sweetness, but I leave that to the person eating.

I kept the cook pretty simple, as you can see.  Sometimes I think people over complicate things so I always try to keep it simple and consistent.  The biggest thing I need is to gain some confidence in the cooker.  This first cook was a challenging first cook for me and a great success.  Definitely a confidence builder.

Sorry, no finished pictures.  When it's time to eat, I don't stop to take pictures. ;D

Lessons learned:
1. the cooker works...  quite peaking.
2. Easy to over smoke...  go very light next time and work my way up.  Also, weigh the wood.  Lighter flavored woods should really shine in this cooker.
3. Sweeten up the rub just a little.

A midweek Turkey Breast will be my next cook (next week).  Then Pork butts next weekend.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 09:54:40 PM »
Congrats, Rick, on the inaugural smoke!  You're spot-on in your analysis.  First - trust the smoker and keep the door CLOSED!  Every time you open it, you introduce a lot of air in the cooking chamber, and cause big temp swings.  That may also explain your level of smokiness; the wood smoulders slowly with the door closed, but every time you open it, a big rush of air goes in and reignites the wood, and can even cause it to catch on fire - which you definitely don't want!  BTW, a good test for "doneness" with ribs is to use a wooden toothpick at about the 5 1/2 hour point...if the meat is tender, and you can easily pull it away from the bone, it's done.  As far as parts being a little tough, I'd recommend backing the temp off to 225.  Low and slow wins every time!

I didn't notice in the pic...did you use a juice pan?  If not, I'd definitely recommend one on your next cook. 

You'll learn a lot about the efficiency of your smoker as you go along.  It's great to get that first success under your belt to peak the interest, and confidence!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

shomesmoke

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 09:36:56 AM »
Rick, sounds like a good first cook, I really like cooking ribs in my #3. Hickory is a pretty strong flavored smoke doesnt take much of it, the scales to weigh the wood is a must with these smokers. Try some fruit wood my favorite is apple, cherry and peach is also real good. Being from Missouri we have lots of pecan trees I use it alot on beef.

Mark
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3