Author Topic: Tough casings  (Read 819 times)

Charlie B

Tough casings
« on: November 09, 2023, 07:10:58 PM »
Hi all. New member here and new to sausage making. I made some bratwurst and dried them overnight. I smoked them today.  Started at 140 degrees with hickory smoke for an hour.  Went to 160 with smoke.  Somehow I messed up step 3 on.  So I set the temp at 170 and the food probe at 165 finish temp. Seemed to take forever to reach temperature.  I changed the temperature to 185 after 5 hours.  The sausage finally reached 165 after 6 hours. Plunged the sausages into an ice water bath. The casings are tough and seem dried out.  Any ideas where I went wrong?
Charlie B

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Tough casings
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 12:06:09 AM »
Welcome to the forum Charlie. Since I don't do sausage, cannot help.  But use the search function for sausage and you might find an answer or two.  Also, some of the members may chime in.  Good luck and again, welcome.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Charlie B

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2023, 10:30:50 PM »
Thanks!
Charlie B

MFL

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2023, 12:19:53 PM »
Charlie,
Did you soak your casings? I had one batch of tough casings on my sausage before I started to soak overnight. Since I have changed, excellent luck. I also put a splash of lime juice in the water while soaking. You could have bad casings also. I have had good luck with Butcher Packer & Syracuse Casing.
My new method for temps are 130 deg for 1 hour to dry(no smoke), 150 for 1  hour with smoke & 180 deg (with smoke) until  sausage hits 152 deg. I do not go to 165. I then program smoker to drop to 140 deg if I happen to be missing for a few. Bottom rack does cook faster. This  lets me finish in around 3- 3.5 hours instead of an all day deal. Just be careful you get them off when they hit temps.
Hope this helps.

kcobbva

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 07:25:26 AM »
I followed Eric's advice on Two guys and a cooler, by cleaning out the casings very well and then doing an overnight soak in water with baking soda.  (1 qt water to 1 1/2tsp baking soda).  Then I stuffed the next day.   I'm still learning my smoke routines, but overall, the end product was very good - so I know it wasn't me as it was my 1st time making sausage.  :)
Kevin from Northern VA

Outdoor toys:
Smokin-It 3.5 Pro
Xl Big Green Egg
Traeger 885 Ironwood