Author Topic: Ideal PID Probe Placement  (Read 786 times)

sabireley

Ideal PID Probe Placement
« on: August 01, 2023, 08:30:43 AM »
My first smoke took 16 hours to cook an 8 lb boneless but at 225, which seemed like a long time.  Thinking maybe the Auber temp was off I bought a 4 probe thermometer, verified that it was within a degree of accuracy with the Auber, then set the probes in various spots around the smoker.  I put the Auber ambient probe on the top shelf near the back with the ribs on the same shelf.  I put probes in the middle on the next shelf down and on the same shelf further forward. What I found was that the probe directly above the heater and wood box 4 inches below the ribs was 35 degrees warmer than the Auber probe.  The probe on the same shelf with the ribs but close to the front was 25 degrees warmer. It was like this through out most of the smoke.

The temperature differences did not affect the ribs as they were wonderful and juicy, but it got me thinking that I might want to put a drip pan in just to disburse that direct heat coming off of the heater and wood box.   The probe placement for the analog system is on the back about half way up. I understand that in newer units the probe is close to the top. Any recommendations for the ideal probe placement for the Auber probe?
Any thoughts on drip pan vs no drip pan?
Should I just cook and not have probe anxiety?  ;  )/

Thanks!

Steve
Steve from Virginia
Smokin-It #3
Auber WSD1200GPH

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Ideal PID Probe Placement
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2023, 07:59:29 PM »
Steve - I would not worry, since you asked.  Get a good remote meat thermometer for the big stuff - butts, briskets, whole chicken/turkey, etc. and cook to temp of your choice. For ribs, figure 4 to 6 hours.  I have had butts finish in the 11 hour range and some that went 15 or more.  I don't know why. I have suspected that the meat probe in the butt/brisket was securely anchored in muscle but was also in a fat pocket that after a time rendered out leaving the tip in empty air. Thus the long time for a cook. Always good to have an instant read handy.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus