Author Topic: Boston Butt and Brisket Smoked at the same Time?  (Read 9729 times)

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Re: Boston Butt and Brisket Smoked at the same Time?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 02:25:40 PM »
I also learned that I need to have my #1 not in full sunlight for a smoke. When I did my chuck roast I had the smoker on my back porch and it faces east. So most of the morning was in full sun. The top was hot to touch as could have fried eggs on it. The temp. inside ran from 235 to 250 degrees. Rest of my smokes will be on the front porch that is shaded.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Elliottbte

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 02:36:48 PM »
I think we all have experience that 'race to stall' cook once.  My first brisket ran to 176 in record time and then sat there for about 4 hours.  I was getting scared watching it climb that quickly and created a HELP!! post, but all was well in the end.  I truly have embraced the no worries, be lazy BBQ approach and don't even think about the smoker til my maverick starts beeping anymore.

Did you brine that brisket?  I'm sold on using DM's brine recipe, including the pink salt for the faux smoke ring, but I just wonder if that impacts when/how the stall happens.
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 08:44:30 PM »
It's amazing, some times, just how fast meat climbs!  I did some chuck roasts this weekend for burnt ends.  They started at 33°, and climbed to 155° in only 2 hours.  Another hour to 177°!  Then, they stalled.  Hehe.  I knew it was coming, and they sat there (even dropped back to 174) for the next 3 hours.  Once the stall "broke," they climbed to 195 in just over another hour. 

The stall can be disconcerting, if you don't know what's coming!  I almost make it a contest, now, to see how fast the climb to the stall is.  I think these chuck roasts were my fastest yet!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 10:01:11 AM »
Yes I seen that in the chuck roast. As it went thru the stall was at 190 and then dropped back to 185. I finally said the heck with it and did the patience thing. But, was kind of scary seeing the temp. drop back.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 09:55:35 PM »
But, was kind of scary seeing the temp. drop back.

I look, and wait, for that!  Think of it this way:  When you're in a hot garage, working up a sweat, your internal temp is climbing fast.  When the sweat starts to roll, you walk outside in the breeze, and immediately feel cooler.  That's what happening with the meat!  It's absorbing all that heat until the fat starts to render and flow to the surface (sweat, if you will).  As the moving air flows across the meat, evaporative cooling occurs - just like when we sweat in a breeze.  So, when I see the temp drop, I know the magic is happening in the meat!!  I don't care how long it takes; the meat will tell me when the magic is done. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

mizzoufan

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 09:06:34 AM »
I guess because I knew that was where the magic was happening, I never worried about the stall itself, but I used to be concerned when it raced up to the stall instead of climbing at a sedate pace.  I'd have been freaked out if it raced to 190 before a stall.  Not sure I've seen a stall (primary, anyway) any later than 176
Steven from KCMO

DivotMaker

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 10:25:56 PM »
Not sure I've seen a stall (primary, anyway) any later than 176

Funny thing about stalls...they're totally unpredictable!  That's why BBQ is NOT an "exact" science with formulas and perfect measurements!  Lots of feel, experience, and intuition goes into it!

I've had stalls in the 160s, 170s, and even 180s!  I've also had meat stall, in the 170s, for several hours, only to start climbing again and stall for a second time in the 180s!!  Talk about freaked out!  First time I experienced a secondary stall, I almost lost it!  Now, I know that every piece of meat has its own agenda, and it will tell me when it's done!
Tony from NW Arkansas

mizzoufan

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2015, 09:57:18 AM »
Did you brine that brisket?  I'm sold on using DM's brine recipe, including the pink salt for the faux smoke ring, but I just wonder if that impacts when/how the stall happens.

I won't guarantee that I brined that particular one as it was one of my first and I'm sure I didn't use DMs recipe (what's a recipe?  LOL).  That was my experience that taught me to just ignore the smoker and maverick until the meat decides it is done
Steven from KCMO

DivotMaker

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 07:52:37 PM »
I've never found brining to affect the stall temperature, which is unpredictable all by itself!  I do find that brining large cuts does decrease overall cook time, though!
Tony from NW Arkansas