Author Topic: Bacon 1st shot  (Read 21709 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Bacon 1st shot
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2015, 08:05:05 PM »
Thanks Bob!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2015, 01:03:30 PM »
Tony, the bottom line is you need to think through how you will slice it up so that the grain is right and I make the thickness so it mirrors the thickness of a good pork belly so that you get a similar flavor profile. Tasty stuff and in some places pork butt is lots easier to find than belly.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2015, 08:35:52 PM »
Good advice, Bob!  I hope to give this a shot pretty soon, so this helps!  Never have seen much on how to section a butt for BBB!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2015, 12:01:23 PM »
OK Bob & Tony, I never have been able to tell which way the grain is running in meat. Can you give me some help in this area.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2015, 01:54:47 PM »
Bill, "with the grain" is slicing lengthwise, in line with the muscle fibers.  Against the grain is 90-degrees perpendicular to the grain.  If you look at a brisket, the grain is very pronounced, usually diagonal across the flat.  That's why you slice brisket at an angle that is 90-degrees off the grain - it makes the slices very tender.  When I make beef jerky, I slice with the grain, so it's long fibers the length of the slices.  I'll try and find some pics to better illustrate this.
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2015, 01:57:13 PM »
Thanks Tony, I just had a brain freeze, pictures might help. What is left of it have a great weekend. Today am starting my pork belly cure using Brian's recipe.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

TexasSMK

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2015, 08:24:35 PM »
Thanks for posting Greg.  That is some incredible looking bacon. 
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2015, 08:43:54 AM »
just saw the results now.  gorgeous bacon. nice knife skills.
Joe, in FL
Smoking It #3, Auber PID WSD-1500GPH, 23cfm of boost

elkins20

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2015, 08:26:06 PM »
Hey Greg, I called the RD here and they told me they do not carry fresh pork bellies. But, was looking at a video the other evening on youtube from Malcom Reed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJv6x6TN1bw and he said he purchased it in frozen packages from RD. Maybe they have it in your area also, next time I am down there will check to see if they have it in boxes in the frozen section.