Author Topic: 1st Attempt at Beef Jerky  (Read 21035 times)

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
1st Attempt at Beef Jerky
« on: August 12, 2013, 02:05:17 PM »
Hi,

I just picked up my model #3 with the jerky fan attachment and I am hoping that someone can share their marinade recipes which they have used for beef jerky.  I have about 8 pounds of sliced beef and prefer something on the sweet side with a bit of spice.

As well, at what tempurature do you set the smoker to and for how long and what amount of wood should I use?  Any help is appreciated.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: 1st Attempt at Beef Jerky
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 04:02:44 PM »
I've been debating on that jerky dryer attachment for a couple of months now ... PLEASE post a review once you've given it a go.  While I can't help you with the temps or times, I can give you the recipe I use when I do jerky in a dehydrator:

1/2 cup soy sauce (I use Kimlan Ponlai soy sauce ... it's killer)
1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup aged white balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce (I use La Choy)
1/4 cup molasses
2 tbsp liquid smoke (delete this if you're doing it in the smoker)
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
2 tsp cracked black pepper
2 tsp red pepper flakes

That should be plenty of marinade for four pounds of thinly sliced flank steak; it's a sweet-hot flavor (my personal favorite) but playing around with it is easy to do.

Good luck please let us (me!) know how it goes ...
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 11:44:55 AM »
Joe:  Thanks for the recipe.

I will give this recipe a try as the ingredients will acheive the results that I am looking for in terms of flavour.

I will try to post pics of my results using the jerky fan as requested so you can see how it turned out.  Steve did provide me with some jerky instructions, and it appears that you have to run the smoker for 2 hours at about 180, then add the fan and drop the heat to 150 -160 for the remainder of the smoke.  I am researching a bit more before I start and I will include details of my smoke once complete.

I have a feeling that my new #3 will become an addiction and my wife will either love or hate me for it, depending on the results.....
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 08:24:11 PM »
Smokester - PLEASE give us some good feedback on the jerky fan!  I've been thinking about it since I got my smoker (LOVE good jerky), but just haven't seen a lot of info or good methods posted on it!  Stands to reason that our smokers will make some incredible jerky with it.  My only attempt at jerky wasn't that great.  I smoked it at 160 for about 8 hours, and ended up finishing it in the dehydrator.  I think the fan will definitely help pull the moisture out -- just haven't seen any results yet.

Thanks for the post!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 07:58:43 PM »
I completed my first batch of beef jerky using the "James Jerky" fan attachment.  I used the recipe within this post for the marinate.  The beef jerky turned out great, nice and dry, but not too dry, moist and chewy just like we like it.  I did omit the chili pepper flakes as my wife and kids don't like it spicy and I also the liquid smoke since I was smokin it.

Each strip of meat was about 1/8th of an inch thick
Marinated for 36 hours (24 will do)
place each strip flat on the rack (used all 4 racks)
Added 2 - 2.5 ounces of apple wood chips and set the smoker to 160
Smoked for 2.5 hours (without the James Jerky fan)
After the intial smoke, I drop the temperature down to 140 and added the fan attachment
Jerky was ready 6 hours later (total time from start to finish = 8.5 hours)
Pictures are shown below.

This is the first batch of beef jerky, for the second batch which I will complete tomorrow, will try 170 for the first two hours, then drop to 150 - 160 with the fan to see how it turns out.

Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 09:59:43 PM »
Ooooh, that looks great, Smokester!  You've given us the first good evidence of the jerky fan results!  What cut of meat did you use?  I see a little marble, but it's pretty lean.  Sirloin tip roast? 

Now you've got me interested in the jerky fan again!  Birthday's coming up next month... ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 04:21:40 PM »
DivotMaker:  The jerky fan is well worth it.  I was impressed with the quality of the unit once I opened it and more impressed with the results of the jerky.  I would recommend it if you had your sights on picking one up.

As for the meat that I used, my brother is a butcher and he prepared it for me and I have confirmed it was sirloin tip.

My birthday is this Friday and the Model 3 and jerky fan was my early present to myself.  Enjoy and order the attachment for your birthday, you won't regret it.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

UWFSAE

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 06:03:47 PM »
And ... yeah, I need the jerky fan.  Thanks for the review Smokester ... a lot of us have been waiting for feedback before we pulled the trigger.
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 09:40:42 PM »
Thanks, Smokester!  Happy early birthday!  You just helped me make my birthday wish list, too! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

BIG BOB

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 07:29:23 AM »
Smokster... LOL, my birthday is this Friday (23rd) also, and the #2 that is on its way was a birthday present to myself. WOW, great minds think alike, and so do we.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 08:27:45 PM »
Happy birthday to you too, Bob!  I couldn't think of a better birthday present than a #2! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 09:31:21 PM »
Big Bob: Happy Birthday as well and congrats on your new smoker, you won't be disappointed.  I couldn't to pick mine up and haven't stopped using it since.  The forum was a great place to start to get great ideas and share your experience and results.  UWFSAE and DivotMaker have been a great help providing guidance for my first attempts.

DivotMaker/AWFSAE: Did you pull the plug on the jerky fan?  The jerky tastes even better as it sits longer, the only problem is that it doesn't last long because the results are fantastic and everyone can't stop eating it.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 11:17:31 PM »
Big Bob: Happy Birthday as well and congrats on your new smoker, you won't be disappointed.  I couldn't to pick mine up and haven't stopped using it since.  The forum was a great place to start to get great ideas and share your experience and results.  UWFSAE and DivotMaker have been a great help providing guidance for my first attempts.

DivotMaker/AWFSAE: Did you pull the plug on the jerky fan?  The jerky tastes even better as it sits longer, the only problem is that it doesn't last long because the results are fantastic and everyone can't stop eating it.

Smokester - thanks for the nod!  Helping each other (I believe) is what our group is all about!  I can't believe the stuff I learn from other members everyday.  Haven't ordered the jerky fan yet, but have a birthday coming up in a few weeks (9/11, of all days).  ;D   Already have it on my list!  I loves me some jerky!!
Tony from NW Arkansas

UWFSAE

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 02:15:35 PM »
Smokester:  I need to buy a new meat slicer ... my old Chef's Choice finally gave up the ghost so I'm probably going to buy a new 615 so I can get super thin slices.  I've been wanting to make some venison jerky and pork jerky and I figure the smoker is the ideal vehicle for both.  That being said, if I see a sale on flank steak then game on for traditional ...

Once the slicer's here I'll pull the trigger on the jerky dryer ... I've got some work trips to LA, AR and TN coming up so I figure it'll help give it a "road trip" vibe.
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
Smokester:  I need to buy a new meat slicer ... my old Chef's Choice finally gave up the ghost so I'm probably going to buy a new 615 so I can get super thin slices.  I've been wanting to make some venison jerky and pork jerky and I figure the smoker is the ideal vehicle for both.  That being said, if I see a sale on flank steak then game on for traditional ...

Once the slicer's here I'll pull the trigger on the jerky dryer ... I've got some work trips to LA, AR and TN coming up so I figure it'll help give it a "road trip" vibe.

As always, Joe, I look forward to a great review on the 615!  And, yes, jerky is the perfect road trip food! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas