Author Topic: Jim Baldridge Secret Seasoning  (Read 15457 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Jim Baldridge Secret Seasoning
« on: August 03, 2013, 10:42:50 PM »
Baldridge Seasonings is a family-owned company in North Platte, NE, and makes one of the best steak seasonings I've ever had.  I'm not sure if you can even buy this in stores - I order direct at www.baldridgeseasoning.com

On steak, this is hands-down the best seasoning I've had.  I spent a lot of time in west Texas (San Angelo area) when I was in the Air Force, and this is very reminiscent of the little hole-in-the-wall steak houses found in that area.  It's a blend of salt, sugar, onion, garlic. pepper, spices like marjoram, rosemary, thyme, and some other "secret" ingredients (hence the name).

I'm trying it tomorrow on a smoked sirloin tip roast - I'll let you know how it goes!  I've used this on steak since the late 90's, and have never had a steak I like more than one with Jim Baldridge Secret Seasoning.

Check them out, and feel good about supporting a family-owned small business!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

smokeasaurus

Re: Jim Baldridge Secret Seasoning
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 11:05:12 AM »
Will do........right now........... 8)

smokeasaurus

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 11:36:07 AM »
Grilled last night with Jim's Secret Seasoning and this stuff is real good. I rubbed down a pork butt for this weekend and will report back.

I found this article from a fella that used to know Jim:

Jim Baldridge was a man of many talents and, before his untimely passing, a good friend of my fathers. I remember him from boyhood, traveling through the empty dust of dirt roads to attend livestock sales with my father. Jim would auctioneer as dad worked the ring and I sat in the stands reading through the program trying to guess what each lot would go for and wishing I could bid on one. As I recall he always had a ready smile and contagious laugh but my most concrete memory of Jim is a vision from the ubiquitous diner that is often connected to sale barns.

It’s a surprising memory and I’m not sure why it stuck with me but I can still see him, sitting across from me, joking playfully with the waitress and eventually getting around to ordering a hamburger without the top bun or maybe he took the top bun off, either way he didn’t eat it.   Then a little while later, he would call the waitress over agian and order another hamburger, doing the same thing with the top bun. I was never sure if he did this because he thought if he skipped the bun it was fine to have two hamburgers or if he just liked less between him and the flavor of the beef. I’ve decided, whether it’s true or not, to believe that it was the latter of my two concocted possibilities. Which I think stands to reason given his great contribution to humanity and deliciousness, Jim Baldridge’s Secret Seasoning.

It was around this seasoning which the legend of Jim Baldridge grew in my head, ever since I was a young boy, probably eleven or twelve, a piece of beef never struck the Shirley table without first being generously bathed in Jim’ Baldridge’s Secret Seasoning.  We even took it with us on the Lake Vermillion fishing trip.  Here’s a visual testimonial of how Bucky feels about Baldridge’s:

So Good We Still Ate Them!

To this day, I don’t make steaks, burgers or chops without it and ever since I can remember anyone who tastes it asks me to get them some. Well, stop asking me and get it here: Buy Jim Baldridge’s Secret Seasoning, just make sure to tell them OA sent ya.

smokeasaurus

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 08:46:26 PM »
I have been grilling with Jim's Secret Seasoning the last two nights since I got my bottle and it is excellent. Got a couple of pork butts seasoned with it for a overnight cook this Saturday night. One butt will be in my pellet grill and the other in my #3.  Will give y'all a report on how this seasoning will hold up on a super long smoke...I know how the Smokin-it #3 will....... 8) 8)

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 11:46:43 PM »
Glad you like it, Smoke!  I've never tried it on a butt; can't wait to hear how that turns out!  I just love it on beef, though.  That's a cool story about Jim - thanks for sharing it! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

smokeasaurus

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 10:25:49 AM »
It is nice when you get to know about the people behind the products...no stories when you are dealing with big Corporate Conglomerates.............

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 10:24:27 PM »
Yep.  And I'd say they've developed quite a loyal customer base.  I've never seen this in stores, but have been buying it for about 15 years, and they're still going strong!  Love to see a family business "success story!"
Tony from NW Arkansas

smokeasaurus

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 11:09:30 PM »
Got a big ole pork butt all rubbed down with Secret Seasoning. Going all night at 160.....lets see what happens  8)

smokeasaurus

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 08:31:31 PM »
The rub held up quite well during the 18 hour cook of the pork butt. It is a tad bit salty and I think the next time I use the Secret Seasoning for a long cook, I might add a touch of brown sugar to the rub to cut down on the saltiness. The flavor of this rub is outstanding.......

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 10:43:48 PM »
Wow, that looks great, Smoke!  I agree - a little brown sugar mix for a long cook would probably be good with this rub.  Did some t-bones on the grill tonight with Jim's help....mmm, mmmm!
Tony from NW Arkansas

smokeasaurus

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 11:32:06 AM »
I can't eat taters without it either  8)

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 07:25:15 PM »
I totally forgot to mention taters!  Now there's a treat! :P
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 08:38:20 PM »
Here's smoke t-bones from last weekend, getting to know Jim's rub! :)   They were incredible!  No smoker, just the old Weber gasser with a little cherry wood on the lower level.
Tony from NW Arkansas

shomesmoke

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 08:16:53 PM »
I can't eat taters without it either  8)

smoke, DM,   I gotta give this a try!! What ya think about it on whole chickens, and if makes a steak that good why not a brisket?
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 07:16:21 PM »
Shome, I haven't found much I don't like it on!  Give it a try and let us know if you like it!
Tony from NW Arkansas