Author Topic: Program Gen 3 digital controller  (Read 1470 times)

DV

Program Gen 3 digital controller
« on: April 15, 2022, 01:02:31 PM »
I have an older 3D that the original controller failed.  I bought a new controller which is the Gen 3.  I have gone through all of the controller operating instructions with the elaborate flow charts.  It explains how to change displayed temps or time but I cannot see how to switch between using timed or temp.  It takes me 20 minutes hitting every combination of buttons until I accidentally get the "T" or "f" to change and cannot remember exactly what actually finally made it work.  The old controller was logical and easy to program, but this one is going to drive me crazy.  Can anyone please simply explain the steps to change between "T" ad "f"?  Thank You for your help!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Program Gen 3 digital controller
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 08:32:12 PM »
I followed the instructions and got fouled up initially.  I realized that I was pushing ALL the buttons to fast.  If it says to hold for 2 seconds , hold for that duration. To this day, I always have my instructions at the smoker.  It is not unusual to see smoke before I am finished programming.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Dave in AZ

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 06:19:25 PM »
I have to agree... the programming is NOT very logical, and the guide booklet needs a nassive edit.  I just got the 3.5D wifi, it came with like 40 pages of instructions.  1st paragraph tells you to turn smoker on to 250 and ket it season...
... in small print on page 37 it tells you how to change controller from default program mode, to manual mode so you can set 250!!
Probably the most disorganized and poorly written flow instructions Ive ever used.  Absolutely needs a GETTING STARTED QUICK GUIDE, telling you how to turn the dang thing on and season it.

All the pictures of what should be on the screen on line1 or line2, are NOT in fact what shows up on my screen.  After it took me 2 hrs reading and highliting to figure out how to set the thing to 250 to season, I seriously started to regret not buying one with just a temperature dial...
USAF 82-2011
Smokin' It 3.5D wifi, Bella cold smoke gen
Traeger
Weber Summit S-470 propane grill
Meat! 1hp #22 grinder, 15 lb stuffer, 25lb mixer
Meat/cheese aging cave: fridge conversion with Inkbird wifi temp and humidity 2 channel controllers, sonic humidifier, dehumidifier

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2022, 10:34:30 PM »
See if this video will help you over the hump. The newer controllers are friendlier than what I have:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMhNO_iliyM&t=154s
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives