Author Topic: I just got a cast iron skillet!  (Read 1275 times)

prudentsmoker

I just got a cast iron skillet!
« on: January 18, 2022, 07:49:03 AM »
Have any of you guys used non-stick cooking spray on cast iron? The Internet is providing conflicting information.

Thanks in advance.
Brian from Wichita

lcdearman

Re: I just got a cast iron skillet!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 08:32:25 AM »
I have not. I use a high smoke point oil like grapeseed, but my son who works in a restaurant just uses canola oil. I admittedly don't use mine much though, but my son only uses cast iron, stainless, or carbon steel pans and skillets.

I have not had any issues with food sticking to my cast iron, but the key is the seasoning of the skillet. It truly does get better with use.

I have also seen that you are not supposed to use non-stick spray on teflon skillets and I have done that all my life. Oh well...

Clay
Clay from Taylor, TX
SI #2 with Auber AW-ST1510H-W
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker

barelfly

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 04:48:43 PM »
I have not used a spray in a CI skillet. I have only used EVOO or canola when it comes to cooking. If need to re-season after cooking, I use Grapeseed only. This has worked very well for me and my skillets are non-stick. Eggs, fish - you name it and they cook great and release.

Just curious as to why you ask? I have four different sizes of CI skillets and two Carbon Steel pans (pan and a wok). Are you asking for seasoning or cooking purposes?
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Paul B

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 05:23:59 PM »
I suggest you check out a guy named Kent Rollins and his YouTube video.  He is a wealth of info on CI.

Paul B

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 07:32:05 PM »
I don't use spray on cast iron or carbon steel. And I do not fully trus the pre-seasoned  cast iron so I give it a quick rinse, thoroughly dry and then season. Smooth sailing from that point on.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 09:35:13 PM »
I've been using cast iron for many years now and I use non-stick spray with no problem, at all.  The internet has some really strange beliefs about cast iron.  With simply care you can absolutely get it wet (even leave it with water in it overnight), cook tomato based and other acidic foods, and you can totally use cooking spray.  In fact, I do so pretty frequently...  I use a little drop of dish soap and a chain mail scrubber when I have any mess in the pan and everything comes right out without harming the seasoning.  I'll then dry and put a very thin layer of cooking spray on it.

Have any of you guys used non-stick cooking spray on cast iron? The Internet is providing conflicting information.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

OldeSmoker

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 10:45:20 PM »
Larry D, I do the same thing with my cast iron that you do. I have two 100 year old Griswold skillets and they hold their seasoning great and look like new.
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger