Author Topic: Bigger piece on top or bottom?  (Read 1360 times)

BuckRimfire

Bigger piece on top or bottom?
« on: December 19, 2020, 05:36:30 PM »
I have a Model 3 and I'm going to smoke two ~10 pound pork shoulders.  Because it fits my schedule, I'm going to put them in for about six hours at 225°, then switch them from top to bottom/bottom to top and go overnight for about 9 hours. 

One is just a bit smaller than the other, both in weight and in how much of the rack area it covers.  For the longer overnight interval (or, if you were not planning to touch it, for the whole cooking time, in another case) would you put the larger piece on the top or the bottom rack?

Basically, I guess the question boils down to whether the piece in the middle of the smoker nearer the heating element or the upper part since "heat rises" sees higher temps.  I figure I should put the bigger piece where it's a little hotter.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Bigger piece on top or bottom?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 07:40:29 PM »
I would have the larger on the bottom for the overnight portion of the smoke.  But if it is just a matter of a couple of ounces  and very little 'finger print' I don't it would matter.

I do butts and briskets overnight, generally starting as early as 10pm and as late as midnight. Then check the internal temp when I wake up. If I need to make any adjustments, it is after I am up and have had a couple cups of coffee.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

barelfly

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 07:53:56 PM »
Like David, I just let them go. I did the BBQ for my daughters grad party a few years ago for 80 people, two 18lb briskets in my 3D and two pork buts in my Dad’s 2, started them the night before and let them go until they got close to target temp. I didn’t open the door until that point to do the probe tender check. You can rotate them if needed, but I think you will be fine.

But, to answer - the larger on the bottom and let them go!

Enjoy these! Can’t wait to hear how they turn out. What kind of rub are you using?
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

BuckRimfire

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 09:00:02 PM »
Oops, I mis-typed that.  I have a Model 2, not a 3!

Rub was just winging it:  some kosher salt, some ground cumin, some Aleppo chili powder, some ground black pepper and some Mexican Oregano.  I've used this combination before and liked it.  I suppose I should add a little garlic and/or onion powder, too.  Maybe some day.

I'd be hard-pressed to give the amounts with any accuracy.  All I know is that I mixed up a little too little, so as I applied it, I wished I had a bit more but it wasn't short enough to bother.