Author Topic: Looking for a new wood source  (Read 2361 times)

Ken

• Model 2wifi
Looking for a new wood source
« on: October 03, 2020, 05:28:27 PM »
I need a new wood source as my local one in Central WA went out of business.  I like the looks of fruitiwood.com.  They seem to know what they are doing.  I see a lot of people recommending smokinlicious.com but their web site almost acts like they are out of business.  They show no pricing or a tab to buy.  The site comes up but I also get a weird error message.  Does anyone have any other recommendations?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Looking for a new wood source
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 08:47:18 PM »
Smokinlicious is a different style website. Here is their link for the double fillets and pricing. Besides fruitwood, I also get chunks from cookshack.  And there is the wood Steve sells.
https://www.smokinlicious.com/double.html
https://www.smokin-it.com/Smoker-Wood-s/32.htm
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 11:27:20 PM »
It’s different alright.  I can’t see how they sell anything.  I asked for information on their site via messenger.  Then I sent an email per the address on there site.  Both have a zero response after about 36 hours. Best of luck to them.

smokeasaurus

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 05:41:02 PM »
You can also look at Fruitawood and Maine grilling woods.

Smokin it also carries wood  8)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

barelfly

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 05:02:40 AM »
I’ve purchased from smokinlicious multiple times and have had email conversation back and forth with no issues. Sorry you haven’t had luck with them, as the wood has worked out great.

The only other wood I have used I picked up from a BBQ store in Denver. The wood comes from this place - http://www.vaughnwoodproducts.com/

It has worked well for me, the chunks are smaller than what comes from Smokinlicious as well as the pieces you get from Smokin-it for initial burn in. I’ve also use the chips from Vaughn for salmon.

Hope that helps you out a bit with finding a source. Enjoy!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

barelfly

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 05:14:07 AM »
I went to smokinlicious.com and here is the page for you to purchase double filet chunks, which are matched for the smokin-it smokers. If you scroll down there are some drop down boxes for you to choose up to three types of wood as well as the size of box you want.

https://www.smokinlicious.com/double.html
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 11:36:29 AM »
Thanks for the help.  I ordered 15 pounds of apricot from friutawood.  A friend of mine loves it an it’s hard to find.  We’ll split the box.  I’ll check out the other sources and I’m sure I’ll find wood.

smokeasaurus

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 01:38:15 PM »
I used to burn apricot splits in my off-set.  Good stuff.

Almond wood and plum is nice as well
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 05:13:48 PM »
So far Fruitawood seems to be the best value.  The only down side is the 15 pound box since our smokers are so wood frugal.  My son in laws hopefully will help.

colecp

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 07:23:55 PM »
I may be the odd man out but I'm baffled by the need for "designer" wood chips. I use wood from big box hardware stores, wood I've dried myself, pellets and Bradley pucks. I use the screen from Smokin-it and I'm well aware of the hotspots. I've had zero issues. One of the reasons I went with this smoker was to get away from proprietary pucks. If I had to buy wood "filets" I'd be equally unhappy. What am I missing? I have a #1 for what that's worth.
Chris Cole
Winnsboro SC

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 07:52:04 PM »
I’ve found some of the pricing of the designer wood a bit much for my taste.  My son in law has a 3D Wi-Fi and he’s been using some wood from Oklahoma Joes and is happy.  Weber chunks lack flavor for him.

barelfly

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 08:29:09 PM »
“Filets” are what they are called on the smokinlicious web site. No bark. Just chunks. All consistent 2x2x3” sized chunks that fit perfectly in the smoke box, or with a split to get a few smaller sizes with various smoke profiles.

Honestly, I don’t find $41 for a full cubic foot box expensive, especially when it’s a consistent product. Looking at Amazon for what they have, $41 is actually on the cheaper side. Most product range around $18 for 500-600 cubic inches of product. Also nice to have the ability to split that box up into 2-3 types of wood.

But, I know there are plenty of offerings out there that everyone prefers to use over others. I have not tried Fruita Wood products, but like the offering they have. But, it seems more expensive, I’ll have to go back and read more. But they do offer some wood product I have not seen available often. That is nice!

Either way - enjoy those smokers! I am running low on wood after going through 1.5 cubic ft of wood over the last few years. So, need to research where I’d like to get the next box.

Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 08:57:19 PM »
The apricot that I bought was 42 for 15 pounds of 2 inch chunks.  That’s 3 more than than the 3 inch chunks.  Labor is money. Shipping is included in their pricing.  Many of the companies sell a box that ends up being 4 to 5 pounds.  My apricot order shipped the next day so I’ll find out more very soon.

barelfly

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2020, 07:59:22 PM »
Good to know the weight. I’d say the the 1 cubic foot box I got from smokinlicious was around that weight as well. It’s a decent size box. The smaller 1/4 cubic foot box I have, shows a shipping weight of 11lbs. But, there were only a few chunks. I weight what I have from the big box and came up with a little over 6lbs, and there’s probably 1/8 of box left.

Shipping is included with their pricing as well.

I need to order from somewhere regardless. But glad I looked into fruita.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2020, 11:25:39 PM »
I received the wood quickly.  It was shipped FedEx the next day.  The quality is great and the aroma of good wood rolled out as soon as I opened it.  The actual weight was marked on the inside at 15.8 pounds and I believe that to be correct.  Smoked a chicken tonight and it turned out great.  The flavor of apricot seemed a lot like cherry but not as mild as apple.  Fruitawood seems like a high quality company.