Author Topic: Smoker Essentials: Barkeeper's Friend  (Read 15565 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Smoker Essentials: Barkeeper's Friend
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 05:57:46 AM »
Dave, I see you scrubbed so hard your sticker came off!  ;D
I've always thought mine would look nicer without the sticker, but am afraid to take it off and create a nightmare. Mine still looks nice and shiny, so no scrubbing required yet.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 10:12:02 AM »
Dave, I see you scrubbed so hard your sticker came off!  ;D
I've always thought mine would look nicer without the sticker, but am afraid to take it off and create a nightmare. Mine still looks nice and shiny, so no scrubbing required yet.
Once the barn door had been opened, I figured that I didn't have much to lose with the sticker.  Goo-Gone worked real well on the adhesive left behind. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 03:07:24 PM »
For what it's worth, I like the CLR Stainless Steel Cleaner/Polish (fairly new product) for my expensive kitchen appliances (Wolf and Sub-Zero - not to brag (ok, maybe a little) - but I am humbled by how awesome they are - and bow down to them and thank the appliance gods every day). I've tried a few stainless steel cleaners/polishes, and the CLR seems to actually CLEAN (as long as it's your average drips/grease) AND polish (not JUST polish like others). Used regularly, you can avoid a separate cleaning task. And it doesn't streak like others. Easy, non-messy aerosol can. I've used Weimann's, and it is very streaky, and doesn't "clean". Chucked it out. Spray CLR on, and keep working/buffing til dry. Repeat over problem areas. There are probably some good commercial cleaners out there, but this is my experience with grocery store brands.

I used CLR to polish the exterior of my SI even before it's first seasoning. My SI is still pretty new, so I haven't had to do a serious cleaning on the exterior, but hope to keep up with it as I go. Oh, and maybe someday when I get brave, and am willing to deal with the consequences, remove that sticker!
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 03:12:49 PM »
The one thing that is causing me grief is the black tears that are running down the front of my door, did it again this weekend.  If I could find a way to prevent the staining in the first place, I'd be much happier with the cleaning process. 

SconnieQ

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 03:41:11 PM »
Dave - What do you think the black tears are caused by? Are they caused by some sort of moisture and soot combo? Do they seem like they are deep staining within the stainless and not on the surface? I've not had these, but my SI is pretty new. Stainless is pretty indestructible. I would think some sort of sealer/polish in advance would make cleaning of these easier without resorting to a major scrub.

Maybe make sure that the little "ledge" above your door (as in the underside of the SI top, right above your door) is grease/soot free, and also the top surface of your door is free of soot/grease.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2015, 04:16:07 PM »
One concern that I have previously mentioned about my door is the amount of leakage at the top.  I'm getting condensation at the top lip and creosote rain is running down the face of the door.  I was able to stop with some foam backing rod material jammed between the door edge and the top lip.  I guess I'm going to look into getting some fire tape but hope that doesn't create a whole different problem.  I also thought about just flashing the area with some aluminum foil when I close the door. 

SconnieQ

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2015, 04:33:08 PM »
I dig the aluminum foil idea. Try the easiest/least complicated first. Let us know how it works out for you.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide