Author Topic: Looking for Input: Shopping List of Gizmos!  (Read 3897 times)

FreelandMISmoker

Looking for Input: Shopping List of Gizmos!
« on: April 26, 2018, 08:23:52 AM »
Hi Everyone-

This forum and the PID controls are what brought me to Smokin It!  This is my first post and I'm touring the Smokin Factory next week to pick out the model and accessories I want.

I'm not new to smoking- over the past few years I have put 100's if not 1000's of hours into a cheap masterbuilt electric smoker.  It died and given the use, I can justify going all in on equipment this round!

So, I'm looking for some advice on the following (cost is not a big factor):

- Any type of magnetic or clip on light for the smoker.  I have headlamps but would like something stationary
-Best digital meat probe
-Best injector setup
-Best big spatula (some look good online but are flimsy in real life)
-Best electric knife, preferably cordless
-Best wireless or Bluetooth thermometer / probe.  I want something durable, with high and low alarms, that I can use bed side in the middle of the night

I appreciate any input!
Brett
Freeland, MI
Smokin It 3.5 with Fireboard and competition probes :)

EFGM

Re: Looking for Input: Shopping List of Gizmos!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 09:57:19 AM »
Hi Everyone-

This forum and the PID controls are what brought me to Smokin It!  This is my first post and I'm touring the Smokin Factory next week to pick out the model and accessories I want.

I'm not new to smoking- over the past few years I have put 100's if not 1000's of hours into a cheap masterbuilt electric smoker.  It died and given the use, I can justify going all in on equipment this round!

- Any type of magnetic or clip on light for the smoker.  I have headlamps but would like something stationary
-Best digital meat probe
-Best injector setup
-Best wireless or Bluetooth thermometer / probe.  I want something durable, with high and low alarms, that I can use bed side in the middle of the night

I appreciate any input!

-Best digital meat probe 
I recommend Themopen, the Blue color is the fastest although some say their color is.
-Best wireless or Bluetooth thermometer / probe.
I recommend either the Tappecue or Fireboard. Both are great. 4 probes max on Tappecue and 6 on Fireboard. Both great companies and have excellent customer service.
Welcome to the forum and the best smoker. If you haven't downloaded and read Tony's Lazy Q ebook yet, be sure and do so. Even for an experienced smoker, you will learn a lot.

Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Walt

Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 11:24:42 PM »
Hi Everyone-

MY SMOKER IS NOT MAGNETIC; I installed a new electrical run, dual outlet and an overhead fluorescent light.
-Best digital meat probe
THERMOWORKS
-Best injector setup
TWO AND 4 OZ SYRINGE TYPES AVAILABLE IN STAINLESS STEEL. SEE AMAZON. A USA MADE UNIT IS: https://www.amazon.com/SpitJack-Magnum-Meat-Injector-Gun/dp/B00A4KJRXC/ref=sr_1_16?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1524798062&sr=1-16&keywords=meat+injector
TRY A STEEL OR ALUMINUM PIZZA PEEL; OR https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Bar-B-Q-02538XOB-Stainless-Oversized/dp/B009UWLKGW
CUISINART which is widely available
DOUG ANSWERED BUT WILL MENTION THERMOWORKS AGAIN. Depends upon how many probes you need.

My input is purely suggestive. I use a ThermaQ from Thermoworks (when I need an extra probe); a Thermapen when spot checking for doneness; I use an old Butterball injector; and a Jacquard for tough cuts https://jaccard.com/products/copy-of-original-super-meat-tenderizers-16-knives?variant=52426864198

I appreciate any input!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

FreelandMISmoker

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 08:41:50 AM »
Thanks for the input guys!  That's exactly what I was looking for!

I'll post up some pics once I get my set up all together
Brett
Freeland, MI

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 12:16:12 PM »
Forgot to mention a digital scale for weighing wood. Comes in handy.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 09:56:09 AM »
Best wireless or Bluetooth thermometer/probe. I just purchased Fireboard, and I can't imagine much better than that. The probes are high quality. And it's WiFi with Cloud, sharing, and graphing through a browser or your smartphone. If you have a smartphone, you will enjoy this. I didn't think I'd need more than one ambient probe, so I bought the base model at $189, added two more food probes (for a total of 4 food probes), and a 2-pack of probe organizers. I can add more probes later. In fact, since I bought mine they just came out with the Competition Probes (shorter 3" or 1" for small cuts of meat) which would work great for chicken, salmon, cornish hens, etc., so I just ordered one of each of those. I like how you can add as they come out with new things, and you don't have to buy a whole new control.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 10:58:39 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 10:10:00 AM »
Best digital meat probe. I don't find an instant-read thermometer particularly useful for BBQ, because you are not opening the door. If you have a WiFi unit like Fireboard, you really don't need an instant-read. I have an instant-read, and pretty much only use for heating liquids on the stovetop, cooking meat on the stovetop, or taking meat temps on the scorching hot grill where you don't want a cord exposed to the high temps, and the lid is open anyway. Spend money on the Fireboard, and save money on the instant-read. I have a ThermoPro, the cheap and ugly evil cousin of the pricey ThermaPen, and it works just fine. You can by 4 or 5 of these, and still spend half of what you would on 1 ThermaPen. Might not be as fast as the expensive ones, but just a couple more seconds.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/ThermoPro-TP03A-Instant-Read-Digital-Food-Meat-Thermometer-for-Kitchen-Cooking-BBQ-Grill-Smoker/107083066?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=4063&adid=22222222227062418048&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=169646572797&wl4=pla-277030803985&wl5=9018949&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113847074&wl11=online&wl12=107083066&wl13=&veh=sem
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 10:12:51 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 02:24:48 PM »
Welcome to the club!  A first name in your signature line would be much-appreciated!

I second all that's been said, so there's not much to add, except a little more info on the Fireboard.  I was one of the beta-testers for the company, and the "small batch" test model they sent me is still going strong (going on 3 years).  I just got an email about new probes!  They are "competition-style" probes  - that means they are straight, have faster reading probes, and come in 1" and 3" lengths.  This means you can now probe small cuts, like chicken thighs, accurately!  I'm ordering a 6-pack!

Fireboard Competition Probes
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

FreelandMISmoker

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 02:52:18 PM »
Thanks again guys!

Just ordered-

3.5D
3 Sausage Rods
Keter XL BBQ Table
Thermoworks Thermapen
Fireboard basic kit + 6 competition probes
The Spitjack Magnum Injector kit
Cuisinart CEK 50 Cordless Knife
Quictent Pop Up Canopy with sides
And like a million other accessories under $30

It's going to be a fun summer!!!
Brett
Freeland, MI

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 11:06:53 PM »
Congratulations!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 08:46:03 AM »
Thanks again guys!

Just ordered-

3.5D
3 Sausage Rods
Keter XL BBQ Table
Thermoworks Thermapen
Fireboard basic kit + 6 competition probes
The Spitjack Magnum Injector kit
Cuisinart CEK 50 Cordless Knife
Quictent Pop Up Canopy with sides
And like a million other accessories under $30

It's going to be a fun summer!!!

You are going to have a busy summer! Enjoy...
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!