Author Topic: Best internal temp for the juciest pulled pork  (Read 75605 times)

stout

Best internal temp for the juciest pulled pork
« on: April 21, 2017, 06:15:49 PM »
i have usually went to 195.. but looking around the net it seems i can find people advocating every single degree from 190 to 205

i cook mine at 225

so i'm wondering what numbers here people use .. cooking temp and internal temp

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Best internal temp for the juciest pulled pork
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 07:23:51 PM »
Don't worry about temp and cook it until you can stick a finger into it, about 2 hours a pound.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

prudentsmoker

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 12:44:02 AM »
I usually go to 195 and also cook at 225.
Brian from Wichita

volscrazy65

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 05:37:08 PM »
I bought a twin pack of butts from Sam's for my first smoke ever, 6 1/2 lbs each.  The first butt was at 225 for 17 hours.  The last 2 or 3 hours I went up to 235 and pulled it out at 190.  The next weekend I did the second butt.  It was at 235 and it hit 190 in a little over 10 hours.  Both tasted great and were moist but the first one that went for 17 hours was a lot more tender.  I think I'm going to stick to 225 or try 230.
John
Flintstone, GA
SI 3D
Weber Q 3200

ibbones

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 11:38:54 AM »
Stout, I am not a professional BBQ person but I have smoked a fair amount of butts.  This is how I do MINE.  No wrong ways.
I do brine MOST of the butts if I think about it early enough.  I rub right before putting into the smoker about midnight at 225* and looking for an internal temp of 190*, and go to bed.  Check them the next morning for temp and sometimes they are almost done, sometimes they need another 4-6 hours cook time.  If they are almost done, I lower the cook temp to 200* and wait for the thermometer to tell me when they reach 190*.  When they do, I have the smoker set to 140* to keep them hot and most of the time I let the butt rest right where it is.  No wrapping in a towel or anything.  It continues to rise in temp to about 193-195*, then starts to drop slowly.  I let them sit until supper time and then pull'em.  Yummers.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 04:28:35 PM »
190 internal, let sit in a cooler for 2 hours wrapped.  Never went wrong yet.   
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Walt

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 08:16:52 AM »
PorkBelly is a professional BBQ Master. He probably cooks more BBQ weekly than most here will in a few years. You will not go wrong taking his advise.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 04:49:44 PM »
Thanks Walt.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 07:42:37 PM »
Pork butt is super forgiving, and has a wide range of "acceptable" internal temperatures, so once you find the internal temp that works best for your personal preference, it's as easy as just letting your thermometer tell you when it's done. Pork butt can be removed and wrapped anywhere from 190 to 205 degrees internal temperature. I smoke at 225 degrees smoker temp. I prefer smoking butts to a higher internal temperature than many people here, more like 200-205, with a long 2-3 hour rest in a cooler wrapped in foil and towels. I want it to completely fall-apart. Some people like more "texture", so that's where you might find the 190-195 folks. I've tried that, but it doesn't seem as moist and succulent to me. I think the "stick a finger in it" is most likely around the 200 mark. But with the SIs, sticking a finger in requires opening and closing the door, which releases precious moisture and heat, and can really extend your smoking time. You should be able to get excellent results on pork butt by going by the internal temperature that works best for your tastes.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:48:03 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

es1025

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 10:43:11 AM »
Typically between 195-198.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Hulk

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 09:22:28 PM »
I shoot for 192. Yeah I know odd number but I used to go for 195 but one time had to pull one early to have it ready for dinner time. I use a Omaha Beef foam cooler for resting which has worked better then a regular cooler. I put an old bath towel in the bottom foil wrap the shoulder and an old bath towel on top. Hold it for at least an hour or up to four. Always comes out perfect.
Smokin-it #2
Weber Genesis Series Special Addition
Plenty of campfires
Northeast United States