Author Topic: Reuse brine after 1st use?  (Read 4160 times)

ZoomByU

Reuse brine after 1st use?
« on: December 15, 2016, 01:07:32 PM »
Brined a pork butt and I am looking at the bucket with brine thinking it could be used for 2nd butt in a few days.
What are thoughts on reusing brine after 1st use?
Greg - ND
Model 2, Maverick ET-733

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Reuse brine after 1st use?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 02:50:23 PM »
My initial reaction and the consensus I found when googling is that brine is too cheap and easy to make this worthwhile.  You run some risk of cross-contamination which you'll only be able to quantify and qualify with equipment, time, and knowledge that far exceeds that required to make a new batch of brine.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 11:07:09 PM »
I agree that with the low cost of brining ingredients, I would not risk it.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 10:04:27 PM »
Fresh brine, every time...period.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

ZoomByU

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 10:49:07 AM »
Found some interesting reading with a lot of information about brining- "http://virtualweberbullet.com/brining.html". You may not agree with everything presented there, but I definitely learned more about brining meats.

From that site- "Discard the brine solution after use. The brine will contain proteins, blood, and other stuff from the meat that soaked in it. From a food safety standpoint, it is not advisable to reuse brine, even if it is boiled first."
Greg - ND
Model 2, Maverick ET-733

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 10:53:26 AM »
Found some interesting reading with a lot of information about brining- "http://virtualweberbullet.com/brining.html". You may not agree with everything presented there, but I definitely learned more about brining meats.

From that site- "Discard the brine solution after use. The brine will contain proteins, blood, and other stuff from the meat that soaked in it. From a food safety standpoint, it is not advisable to reuse brine, even if it is boiled first."

I got my start with a Weber Smokey Mountain, so I've read every page of that site, several times. Some good basic information there. Just need to filter out what doesn't apply to our smokers, like everything that takes any effort ;D (lighting coals, spritzing, mopping, etc)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 11:20:21 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 10:53:51 AM »
+1 to Tony.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

ZoomByU

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 11:12:10 AM »
Another bit of information from Weber site I found interesting- If you don't happen to have Kosher Salt a recipe calls for.

This chart shows equivalent amounts of table salt and the two most popular brands of kosher salt in the United States.

Table Salt 1 cup
Morton Kosher Salt 1-1/2 cups
Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt 2 cups

Greg - ND
Model 2, Maverick ET-733