Author Topic: 3D vs WEBER SMOKEY MOUNTAIN  (Read 6952 times)

Boone

Re: 3D vs WEBER SMOKEY MOUNTAIN
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2016, 01:10:29 PM »
I still use my WSM for those days when I have nothing better to do than sit in my back yard. The SI is the way to go with those long overnight smokes or when you have other things to do around the house. I can tell the difference in taste between the two. I get a much truer smoke flavor in the SI and can tell the difference between the different types of wood I use. I get requests from family and friends for my pork butts. They tell me mine are much better than what they get in the local BBQ joints .. and I tend to agree. I’m still working on perfecting my brisket but I think I am getting close. Even though everyone always looked forward to my cooks on the Weber, I never got such high praise with the cooks on my WSM.
Dan from Wisconsin
Smokin-It #2, Auber PID
Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Kettle Grills
Blackstone Flat-Top Griddle

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2016, 09:51:35 PM »
Well I just order me a Fathers Day gift a 3D. I love my WSM it really taught me to BBQ and I will never get rid of it. It will still get use when I cook 6 to 8 butts,I enjoy watching cooker just don't have time with sick father. Looking forward to being a member here.

Good for you! Let us know if you how it goes and if you have similar experiences coming from your WSM background.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2016, 09:52:15 PM »
I still use my WSM for those days when I have nothing better to do than sit in my back yard. The SI is the way to go with those long overnight smokes or when you have other things to do around the house. I can tell the difference in taste between the two. I get a much truer smoke flavor in the SI and can tell the difference between the different types of wood I use. I get requests from family and friends for my pork butts. They tell me mine are much better than what they get in the local BBQ joints .. and I tend to agree. I’m still working on perfecting my brisket but I think I am getting close. Even though everyone always looked forward to my cooks on the Weber, I never got such high praise with the cooks on my WSM.

Well put, same for me.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

PNW Smoker

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2016, 01:12:27 AM »
Congrats on the purchase. You will not go wrong. I am entirely happy with my 3D.
Andrew from Olympic Peninsula, Washington
SI #3D
Weber S-420 Grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2016, 10:02:27 PM »
I can tell the difference in taste between the two. I get a much truer smoke flavor in the SI and can tell the difference between the different types of wood I use. I get requests from family and friends for my pork butts. They tell me mine are much better than what they get in the local BBQ joints .. and I tend to agree. I’m still working on perfecting my brisket but I think I am getting close. Even though everyone always looked forward to my cooks on the Weber, I never got such high praise with the cooks on my WSM.

So true!  That's one of the main reasons I really love SI!  I now treat wood smoke flavor just like any other spice, now that I can really tell the difference in the flavor profile it gives to the meat!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!