Author Topic: Any suggestions?  (Read 2713 times)

Greenenvey

Any suggestions?
« on: May 30, 2016, 10:06:03 AM »
Hi, I bought  a chef alarm, and the new thermo pen from- thermoworks  to monitor  the internal  temps.  At the time I didn't  realize  I needed an probe to check accuracy  of the box temperature.  I just assumed  whatever temp the Auber showed  would be correct.  So now that I understand  I need a temp probe to monitor  the box temp what   do you guys like to use? From what I understand  i can order a box temp probe from thermoworks  for my chef alarm, but I can only use one probe  at a time, either the box temp probe or the I.T. probe. So I'm thinking  I need a dedicated  probe for monitoring  box temps only?
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 12:45:50 PM »
The Maverick is probably your best and most economical choice.  It will give you the box temp and an additional probe for monitoring IT when you have multiple cuts of meat smoking.  Do you 'need' to have an additional probe to monitor box temp?  Maybe for initial peace of mind to verify the Auber is doing it's job but other than that, I would say it is a personal preference.  Entirely up to you. I have had my 3D since FEB and have yet to throw in another probe to check box temp. 1:  I am lazy and 2: the smoker works fine and food is done within established cooking times.  If there comes a time when I question the Auber, then I will check with an additional probe.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Greenenvey

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 12:52:12 PM »
The Maverick is probably your best and most economical choice.  It will give you the box temp and an additional probe for monitoring IT when you have multiple cuts of meat smoking.  Do you 'need' to have an additional probe to monitor box temp?  Maybe for initial peace of mind to verify the Auber is doing it's job but other than that, I would say it is a personal preference.  Entirely up to you. I have had my 3D since FEB and have yet to throw in another probe to check box temp. 1:  I am lazy and 2: the smoker works fine and food is done within established cooking times.  If there comes a time when I question the Auber, then I will check with an additional probe.
Good point there Sarge!! And I want to thank you for your service!!
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 02:04:40 PM »
Laura, you don't "need" an additional probe to monitor box temp.  The wall-mounted box sensor is quite accurate.  You're referring to a case where the box temp wasn't getting up to set temp, not that the box was different than the display.  The Auber-designed probe and controller measure temperature as accurately as any after-market thermometer I've seen.  But, like Dave said, personal preference.  If I set mine to 235, and my pork butt is done between 1-2 hours per pound, I know the box temp is fine.  Sometimes folks get a little "over-analytical" when it comes to monitoring box temp.  Just my 2¢... :)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Greenenvey

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 07:47:36 PM »
Laura, you don't "need" an additional probe to monitor box temp.  The wall-mounted box sensor is quite accurate.  You're referring to a case where the box temp wasn't getting up to set temp, not that the box was different than the display.  The Auber-designed probe and controller measure temperature as accurately as any after-market thermometer I've seen.  But, like Dave said, personal preference.  If I set mine to 235, and my pork butt is done between 1-2 hours per pound, I know the box temp is fine.  Sometimes folks get a little "over-analytical" when it comes to monitoring box temp.  Just my 2¢... :)
OK tony thanks for explaining  that. 2 more days till I finally  get to use it, I'm so excited 😊
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 08:03:08 PM »
Laura, a lot of things will be more clear to you, once you start using it.  Right now, you're dealing in the unknown.  The wait is the worst part!  Once you get to smoking, you'll see sometimes we get a little to analytical, and overthink things.  Just season it, and get some meat in there to smok! :)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!